The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys i am having a promblem decideing on what bullet to shoot out of the gun.i have been doing some research and some are saying to shoot ballistics and others are saying hollow points and the normal lead.i am looking for more opinions so lets hear some.thanks guys

·
Registered
995 Posts
I was reloading the 140 grain hornady in 7mm mag. The book siad that I should be getting 3000 fps but when I got a chronograph I found that I was only getting 2800 something. The thing is that I had really good success with that bullet at that velocity. Seeing that you could get that speed with a 7mm08 I would try the above posters recommendation and try the 140 grain hornady. Hey deer are easy to kill even a 120 or a 130 should work fine.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I shoot Federal Premium 140gr Nosler Partitions which shoot very well from my gun. However, they have become rather hard to find lately.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have had great luck with 120gr B-Tips. took a large mature male black bear with the 139ssttaken lots of deer with the 140 b-tip until I found out how well the 120's worked.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Gonna use Hornady 139SST this year. Been working up loads all summer, and found middle panel loads the best so far. I think my 16.5 inch barrel on my compact is very finicky getting bullet stabilized.

·
Registered
706 Posts
120 grain bullets are perfect out of the 7mm-08, I've been using ballistic tips the past few years, though I want to try Barnes TTSX's. The 120 grain Ballistic Tips actually have a thicker jacket on them than other hunting weight BT's, so they are perfect for deer.

If I had to pick one hunting load, it'd be 43-44 grain of RL15 and a 120 grain TTSX. Otherwise I'd probably go with RL19 and a 140 grain Accubond or Partition.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
The old discontinued pre BT Nosler Solid Base. I didn't know there was anything else.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Hornady 139 grain Interbond, a little expensive.but they shoot exactly the same as the sst in my. 280. Develop a load with the cheaper sst and substitute the interbond for a premium bullet.IMO

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how are the blood trails with your deer guys?i have shot a few but always seen them go down so never looked for blood

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
xshooter said:
how are the blood trails with your deer guys?i have shot a few but always seen them go down so never looked for blood
I've honestly never had to track one yet with that gun, dropped them all in their tracks. As far as I can remember there has always been an exit hole so I would imagine the blood trail should be a good one.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Adam K said:
xshooter said:
I've honestly never had to track one yet with that gun, dropped them all in their tracks. As far as I can remember there has always been an exit hole so I would imagine the blood trail should be a good one.

+1

·
Registered
995 Posts
I talked to my cousin who runs 7mm mauser and he recommended the 120's. So I guess that means that you can forget what I said about the 140 grain hornady.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts