The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do all of my shooting at my local gun club and the longest range is 100 yards. I was shooting my .308 with 165 grain federal sierra game king soft points,I have a tight group about a inch-inch and a half high. I am curious what the drop would be at 200 yards?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
according to federal ballistic calculator for that bullet (which I had to download to run)
If you are
2 inches high at 100
200 you are zeroed
300 yrd you ar 8.7 in low
25 low at 400
52 low at 500

So at 200 I'd say you are going to hit maybe 1/2 to 3/4 in low

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would not go by what a manufacturer suggests is the ballistics of the ammo.
I would find a place where I could shoot further then 100 yards, if I intended to shoot more then 100 yards.
All guns are different.

In my opinion a .308 is a good gun and you should not worry about bullet drop because shooting off hand a 200 yard shot is hard but not impossible - unless you are a expert marksman.

Most times it is better to just site in your rifle for 100 yards and be content that it will be good for a range of 200 yards - more or less.

A inch and one half high would probably be right on at 200 yards. You need to remember that a minute of angle = 4 clicks at one hundred yards in most scopes and only 2 clicks at 200 yards.

What all this means is that if your rifle shot 1 inch high at 100 yards - that equals 4 clicks up, and that if it was shooting one inch low at 200 yards and you brought it up 2 clicks it might be shooting dead center.

So with your scope already up 6 clicks up at 100 yards, it is already near the location of where it should be at 200 yards.

There is no way to tell for sure until you shoot it 200 yards to confirm what you think the gun will do until you shoot it. Once you do shoot it at 200 yards, you can make a chart that will show you where it shoots and make and small adjustments that you will need to get it on the paper at 200 yards.

That should not mess up your POA at 100 yards, but the only thing I can say is that since most deer are shot at 100 yards or less, I would be more concerned with what it does at 100 yards and make a adjustment mentally for what it does at 200 yards then sight it in for 200 yards and then miss at a closer range.

You should always sight in your rifle for the range you think that you are going to shoot at.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts