The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place to buy bulk 223 ammo , and also does anyone use the steel case ammo that is available.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also reload , dont think i have bought a 100 rounds of factory CF ammo in the last 60 years , but i thought for plinking i might consider some cheaper bulk stuff ,

·
Registered
707 Posts
Take a look at target sports as well...much of their ammo includes shipping, which can really add up.

I am a big fan of vendors that include shipping into the price.

I used to be a snob and never shoot steel cased ammo. I am always after precision in my rifles, but I will use steel cased ammo for training purposes. The Hornady Steel Match is good steel cased ammo. I also use Wolf steel cased as well. The only steel cased ammo I'd avoid is Tula...it seems to be the dirtiest and underpowered ammo.

I like buying from The Amory as well since they are in VA. Shipping isn't included, but shipping isn't too expensive and quick delivery.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
I like sgammo but I use 7.62x39

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
after a lot of P C shopping i went with palmetto state armory PMC brass cased 55 gr fmj for $5.99 per 20 , or $299.50 per 1000 and shipping is not to bad.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I use ammoseek.com but usually buy at Palmetto or TargetSportsUSA. I like Wolf gold or Independence ammo. Never tried steel case ammo for 5.56 but might in the future.

Also, I've used Freedomunitions remanufactured ammo. The only time I've had to use the "Mortar Method" to clear a jam.

·
Registered
25,787 Posts
I like Ultramax 55gr FMJ re-manufactured .223 ammo and have been shooting it for years. All loaded in Lake City cases. Now and then I get lucky and find their 150 packs on sale. Years ago it was around $35, now closer to $70 when not on sale.

At one time I had an AR, Mini 14, H&R single barrel and a M700. Ultramax stuff shot very well in all of them. Keep a few 150 round packs around, for "whatever comes up".

Natchez and a few local places like Trop's, Dick's, Field and Stream, sometimes have bulk ammo, but it's not all that "cheap" these days. I prefer LC or Federal M193 for my AR now.

Was often getting thousand round batches some years ago for less than 20 cents a round. About fifteen years ago, some of the best stuff around in milsurp 5.56, was Malaysian M193 that cost maybe 18 cents a round. Wish I had bought a few more 1K cans of that. Those days are gone, sadly.

Also load my own, but haven't had too lately.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
darkhollowarcher said:
after a lot of P C shopping i went with palmetto state armory PMC brass cased 55 gr fmj for $5.99 per 20 , or $299.50 per 1000 and shipping is not to bad.
UPDATE
Maybe the best price is not always the best deal , my order finally arrived today 13 days after the order was placed and confirmed , not acceptable for me.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
I have read about PSA slow shipping. I have probably ordered 5 or 6 times from them and have always had the stuff within a week. Have some fun sending rounds down range

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Anybody ever shoot the Israeli or Turkish stuff? I found some online at a good price, but not real sure if its quality ammo. Says everything is made to NATO specs. Reviews online were good.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
I shot a fair amount of the Israeli IMI M193 and it went bang every time and accuracy was just like other 193. I never shot it over a chrono, but was always told it was the hottest of the M193 ammo. I never shot any of the Turk stuff.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
I picked up a pile of IMI M193 at a gun show in York for $10 a box of 30 rounds. It's plinking ammo for myself and the *********. I've gone through 7 boxes so far, and nary a problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts