The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been bitten by the diver bug, and I decided to get a wife-friendly diver rig.. I started by using a bunch of old mallard decoys I had laying around.. These are the first ones I've done yet. I started by sanding a little bit, then scrubbing, drying, priming (flat white), then hand painting the details, followed by a flat clear coat. The pictures show more shine than they have (still a little bit) but I may try a little steel wool in a couple days to knock it off, or just let them get a little dirty. So far I've made 6 golden eyes, 6 buffleheads, and 6 canvasbacks. No pics of the cans yet, but I'll upload them later. Here's the progress and finished products so far. The goldeneye that is real shiny was before any clear coat under a light, and my flash went off, so it looks very shiny, but isn't bad at all.

The before pic

Primed and ready for painting

First off goldeneye..

Goldeneyes after some drying and clear coating

Buffleheads drying (still shiny in the picture)

More to come.. Many more......

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I have 6 dozen sportplast and flambeau's done up the same way, but without the hand painting. I bought a cheap airbrish kit at harbor freight for 20 bucks and give them a rough spray job and touch ups. Divers are stupid, they need very little detail.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Not as stupid as I am. I bought a dozen Cabela's blue bill Decoys for obviously more than I should've. I'm going to paint a dozen redheads and 6 cans over the off season to add to my blue bills and dozen buffies.

To the OP, those Decoys look good.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
If your using Krylon 1311 as a clear coat. Do several "light" coats, it will produce less shine. You will ahve some shine on any darker colored paint. After a few uses they will get a little dull. I normally coat every decoy I make or buy with some Krylon 1311. Some use Testors Dullcoat as well.

I do my hand painting on our kitchen table as well. I'm sure someday I'll spill some paint and that will be the end of that.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.. Murdock - I was using something similar.. I stumbled across the 1311 after I hit them all with what I had.. I imagine it will go away with use, and they're looking a lot better already..

The kitchen table was my drying rack.. I was painting on the table in our living room that has a lot more sentimental value to my wife.. probably not my best decision but I averted disaster..

Here's the crew ready to be rigged (just realized I'm out of line.. oops).. I'm not thrilled with the color of the heads on the canvasbacks, but by the time anything picks up on that they'll either be dead or laughing at the shooting..

I still have another 15 to paint.. so I may add a few more to be standard rigs, but then work on some long lines as well to mix it up..

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Those look good... My rig looks the same, used to be you could buy mallard dekes unpainted so we bought a bunch n did the same thing you've done. Well done!

·
Banned
208 Posts
Nice work man. We did up some hot buys into bluebills last season. We layed down a coat of adhesion promoter after cleaning. Seemed to hold paint a little better, because our first run chipped really easy.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
What is adheasion promoter? Do you have a brand name and the store where you bought it?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I may try some of that on my next batch.. We killed birds over my new decoys today, and had birds land in each group that I painted.. Success!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts