The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been on the home search for the last couple of months and finally found a couple we like.

The catch, well not really a catch, is that if we buy one of the houses we like it would need an addition built.

What I don't know is anything about the cost of things like that.

Essentially the addition would be a Master Suite. Good size room, nice bath, and large closet space.

Anyone have some insight into this? Again we haven't bought the house yet but if the price of an addition isn't though the roof we may go this route.

THank you

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Don't know what a contractor would charge, but I put a Master Bedroom Suite addition onto my house a few years ago. Bedroom is 18'x12'. Walk in closet is 8'x12' and bathroom is 10'x12'. Did all the work myself, electric, drywall, plumbing, etc. Wasn't difficult, just time consuming in the evenings and on weekends. I have a total of $8500 invested.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
Building from the ground up or adding a second story?

I'm figuring anywhere from $140 - $160 per sqft. Depends how fancy you want the bathroom to be.

Kitchens are the most expensive rooms to add or remodel. Bathrooms don't fall far behing them.

Figure out your square footage and multiply that by a number you're comfortable with between 140 and 160.....should at least get you in the ball park.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
If it was my house I would ask at least three contractors for bids. Get everything in writing including specific materials. Then ask for references and ask to look at samples of their work.

It is sad but there are some dishonest builders out there and if you had to sue it would be a lot better to have bids with details.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
Also, get a heating/cooling person in there to look at the furnace and a/c to make sure they can handle the additional space.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
There is another option if you are handy. Have the contractor do the foundation and frame it out and then you could finish it off.

·
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dogface, that's what we are leaning towards, but wanted some feedback on costs from people who have done it.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
And if that doesn't work, you can act as the general contactor on the job and save a good chunk of change.

You'll need the time though to coordinate all phases of the job and need to be there frequently to keep things moving. No doubt, there are headaches involved with doing this but it does save you money.

If you're financing the cost of the addition, some banks "might" frown on you being the GC on the job as they consider it a risk.

·
Registered
21,571 Posts
GIE said:
Building from the ground up or adding a second story?

I'm figuring anywhere from $140 - $160 per sqft. Depends how fancy you want the bathroom to be.

Kitchens are the most expensive rooms to add or remodel. Bathrooms don't fall far behing them.

Figure out your square footage and multiply that by a number you're comfortable with between 140 and 160.....should at least get you in the ball park.
Which is more expensive, building from the ground or adding a second storby?

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
Adding a second story is more expensive.....about 99.5% of the time. Only way adding on to the side or back of the house might be close is if you need to purchase that land to build on.

When adding a second story you are changing the structure of the house (i.e. removing and replacing the roof, possibly adding reinforcement in the existing structure to support the additional weight from above, increased likelihood of replacing heat and a/c units to adequately heat and cool the house).

·
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We would be looking to add a Master Suite to the end of the house.

The only changess to the house as it stands now would be a doorway from the main hall to the new addition and running the plumbing over to the bathroom.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
When you say plumbing I assume you are including drain pipes for waste water and sewage and tieing them into existing.

Don't forget duct work for heating and cooling?

Might want to check your electrical panel to see if you have room for a few more breakers too.

·
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, you are right. I would tie in to the existing plumbing. Of course it would need duct work too.

I am researching all of this because every house we find so far will need some type of improvement.

Another house we are very interested in will need all new floors (we prefer hardwoods) and all the rooms painted, I don't even really know what that stuff will cost.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
It should be okay in the Pittsburgh market. Also depends on how fancy they want to get. The bedroom is nothing to do. The bathroom could turn it up a notch or two, especially if they want 24 shower heads in the granite & glassed enclosed shower.

·
Registered
21,571 Posts
GIE said:
Adding a second story is more expensive.....about 99.5% of the time. Only way adding on to the side or back of the house might be close is if you need to purchase that land to build on.

When adding a second story you are changing the structure of the house (i.e. removing and replacing the roof, possibly adding reinforcement in the existing structure to support the additional weight from above, increased likelihood of replacing heat and a/c units to adequately heat and cool the house).
I cant convince my wife of the absurdity of adding a second story to my house. My house is modular, and very small. At 140 dollars per square foot, it would cost over 186,000 dollars to do this. To a house that would (maybe) fetch 75 grr on the open market.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
was in lowes 3 days ago,drywall boards are going to go up in price 50% or more acording to to notice at the cash register

·
Registered
129 Posts
treedaddy said:
was in lowes 3 days ago,drywall boards are going to go up in price 50% or more acording to to notice at the cash register
Yep. And they have already gone up 60% since I drywalled my basment in 2009. I paid $5 a sheet then and it's going for $8 right now.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
I guess that is because of Sandy.

I need 6 sheets and a 5 gallon pail of compound and never thought about the price going up because of the storm.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Danesdad said:
GIE said:

I cant convince my wife of the absurdity of adding a second story to my house. My house is modular, and very small. At 140 dollars per square foot, it would cost over 186,000 dollars to do this. To a house that would (maybe) fetch 75 grr on the open market.
It may be better to build out rather than up.

I did it with a modular. I had a contractor do the hard work with the roof and I finished it. It took a few months to get it under a roof but I was not living there and there was no rush.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts