The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it legal to build a blind on an island on the Susquehanna river where it is not private land? I know lots of people do it, but was wondering if it is actually allowed or just overlooked. I assume that if it is allowed that whoever builds the blind should have no extra privelege to that blind/island as they just donated their material to the junk of the river.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
kind of like leaving permanent treestands on gamelands, littering in my opinion. it should be against the law to leave stands/blinds on public land throughout the year.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Personally, I would think that would be the same as building a treestand on public property?

Make to much of it and public officials will be out there cutting them down and patrolling. Ya never know.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
islands near me have signs up saying "temporary" blinds may be constructed, if they are removed following the season..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's kind of my thoughts too. I really don't have a desire to put up any blinds, I don't think they look natural, and the river has enough junk in it already but there are blinds going up all over the place on the islands I like to hunt and the people that make them seem to think they have some sort of claim to where they put "their blind". I would actually love for officials to go around cutting them down, I'll put my name on the list to help with labor and equipment to remove them.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
jollyjack said:
The islands in question are those in the Harrisburg area between the 83 and 81 bridges.
Choclab did some investigating into Ownership of Islands on the rivers in Pennsylvania...

It isn't just those in around harrisburg you have to look into of ownership...you have to check on all islands in all of the state!

From what I remember, if they do not have a Deed to them, the ownership is DCNR or DEP or something like that!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Guys need to let this go. These are the situations that give hunters the bad name. One bad deed does not deserve another. Let the situation alone. When P*****g contest start everyone will suffer.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
many of those islands down in that area have deeds..a few are Harrisburg City islands...

1, you DON'T want to get Caught on it or with in so many yards of it...it is Marked VERY GOOD with Signs!

That is the 1 that has the Egrets or Herons nests on it!

Either way, they are owned, either by a deed to the city or person or to the state from what Choclab found!

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
most of those islands by harrisburg are pgl islands..........bob

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know there are some islands below the 83 bridge that are private, but I don't venture down there anyway. I'm talking above the Harvey Taylor Bridge. I know of two islands between there and the 81 bridge that have picnic tables on that I stay off of (I don't know that there are any signs on them either) but most of those islands are routinely flooded by the river when it even gets remotely high and I've never seen a sign on 95% of them. I'll try to contact someone at DCNR or something like that to get more info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts