The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into building a rifle at is 30.06.

Does anyone know where to buy parts for one? And building a rifle, How tough is it to build?

Just wanting to know if it's worth the time and effort of building my very own rifle. I've never built a firearm, but I do build things for the Naval ships.

I have the mechanical skills, but I don't have machines to mill anything. So parts would need to be bought complete. And final assembly would be my responsiblity.

Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
When you say build i take it as a custom rifle. Most of mine are or factory rifles with modifications. It will depend on your checking account of how far you want to go. I would say you need to contact a gunsmith or custom rifle builder there are many out there and some darn good ones in Pa. I will give you the basics of a custom rifle and opinions will vary but here is my preference.
Action of choice : i use a rem 700 most of time and have it blueprinted by a smith . Its put in a lathe and receiver is squared along with the lugs on the bolt im not going in to many details of step by step but all of this is done so barrel fits perfectly square along with the recoil lug ground. Custom actions are availble that everyrhing is done priced anywhwere feom 1k- $1,500.00 Trigger can be worked or replaced I use Jewells.
Barrel- Stainless stell match grade there are many good barrel makers out there: Hart, shillen, Brux, Kreiger, Broughton, etc. You can choose the twist, contour, and length. Your smith will thread, fit, chamber, and crown. A good barrel is the heart of a custom rifle.
Stock- All on prefernce wood or fiberglass. Many people like a beautiful piece of wood you can have that choice. I have a local smith that has amachine he can duplicate any thing you want checkering, etc. Fiberglass i prefer many makers out there. Mcmillian, Manners, HS Prescision, etc. The stock has to fit your action of cource but should be properly bedded. This is the start of a custom rifle good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Most custom rifles have resale value much lower than their cost. If you end up selling it, you'll take a bath.
There's a lot of very good .30-06 production rifles around.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Building a rifle and working on Naval ships don’t have too much in common, like the others have mentioned, you really need to have a gunsmith do your machine work. Once the machine work is done you can pretty much do everything yourself without needing expensive equipment. If you want to do everything yourself, your best bet would be to purchase a Savage action, you can get chambered barrels threaded to fit them and adjust the headspace yourself with the barrel nut.

People that speak negative about custom guns either cannot afford them or have never shot one to see how accurate they can be. Yes, they could be a loosing proposition financially, but I can’t say I’ve built a custom gun with the intention of selling it. It’s kind of like building a hot rod, if you take the time to re-do a 67 Vette and do it right I’m thinking you would make out OK, do a poor job on a 72 Pinto and, well you’ll still have a Pinto. If Bob Mundon built you a pistol, it will always hold its value, “Joe Smith” builds one and you probably won’t get scrap price out of it.

The sky is the limit when building custom guns, you need to do some research and figure out what you want and how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Its all a matter of what someone wants and can afford. Dont let anyone talk you in to or out of doing a custom if you want it. Yes it is expensive but you do get what you pay for. Lets take your pick up truck for example assuming most people here probably has one. My first new truck i didnt get until i was 40 just didnt want the payments it was a regular 3/4 4x4 a/c, and radio. Worked great for plowing and moving my landscape equiptment got the job done. Now i have a 350 lariat, leather, pl, and most of the bells and whistles is this a waste of money? Im sure there are many others here that has some luxaey on there vechicles again are they wasting money? All in the eyes of the beholder. Im not there sell the idea of everyone needs a custom rifle but just giving the basics of what needed. Also i never state my gun is better than yours and never will. I do have factory guns that shoot real well and close to the customs but at the end the customs will be consisting more. I disagree now days of loosing money on a custom depending on how you put togeather. On another site i visit Longrangehunting.com forum in there classified section of guns 4 sale there bringing good money. Now days you have the internet to move something compared to 15 years ago you had to find someone in your community that wanted what you have. I also think due to the internet it takes a long time for a build due to there is a lot of it going on and barrel makers and stock makers are backed up.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
You will NEVER get the money that is put into a custom rifle back when you sell it, unless you keep it 30+ years. I have some that I built in past years and did so just to have that feeling of "I did it".

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Parts are easy to find but since you already stated you need to purchase ready made parts its not going to be anything special or custom about it. Not like you are changing the stock length or making it lighter.
As other guys already stated your going to spend more on components then something you can buy right out of the box and shoot with better accuracy.
If your just looking to play to help pass winter quicker start out with a kit black powder gun, they are fun and come out fairly nice.
Good Luck

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
If you are stuck on an '06, then I would buy a factory rifle....but if you want to be "different" and own a wildcat caliber, then I would go for a custom made job! There are SOOOOOO many very accurate and reliable factory '06's out there I don't think you could do better by going custom, unless you just need to have lots of expensive extras built in!

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
IMO the only really good reason for a custom job is to get something you can't readily buy. Throwing together a bunch of off the shelf parts is just a bunch of off the shelf parts. Might work alright, but the sum won't be worth the cost of the parts. Only worth to do if that is what YOU really want.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, sounds like I'm over my head with building my very own 30.06.

My plan is to buy the best 30.06 around $600-700.

Later on down the road, many moons away, I'll think of a plan to build my very own 30.06.

Thanks for all the info from you guys.

Scott

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
The real advantage of doing it yourself is the knowledge you will gain. You'll be forced to research every aspect to make informed decisions. It's going to cost a LOT more than a production rifle, it likely will shoot very well because I "think" you would put a match grade barrel on it. Resale would probably be 50% because the choices you make will not be the exact same choices someone else would make, it's "your" custom build, it will never have the same value to someone else.

You would choose whatever action you want, probably buy a used gun as a donor, cost unknown.

A chambered, threaded, contoured, average quality match grade barrel in stainless cut to length probaby will run around $350-500 depending on who does it, chromoly a little less.

You will need a smith to headspace the barrel to the action, maybe $100.

Stocks run the gamut, good quality synthetics start maybe around $350, fancy walnut can be in the 1000's.

Triggers maybe 100 to 200 for a Jewell.

You'd probably be looking at around $1000 plus what ever action you choose.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Buya Remington 700 if you cant do it yourself take it to a smith and have it glass bedded and adjust trigger you will be happy. If your close to me i would bed it for the price of the kit. Bedding and trigger job average cost $125.00.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Right here is what $1300.00 looks like. I searched for sometime to find an older Remington 700 thats a month's worth of hours on net and local shops help. I found one made in 1981 with a fine stock seems it spent it's life mostly in a safe. Anyways with the doner gun and a trip to Nescopeck Pa. to RW Hart for the barrel and action work as stated, the wood work for the new contour of barrel and glass beddin, I now have a one of a kind. You'll enjoy it every time you pull the trigger. This is my 2nd. build and one word of advice, if you worry about resale don't bother. It's like buildin a Hot Rod, or 4 wheeler. The gun you build or the guns you already have if like me it's part of my life and I put a very high price tag on my blink of the eye life. Just Do It....later

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did go to GanderMountain to look at the 770 and the 700 Rem's. The 700 is a way better quality rifle. The 770 was crap.

Now I just need to find the 700 camo ss 30.06 model!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Thanks, and good guess! I picked it up last thursday and my wife says it goes under tree so like a good boy I listened. Monday we took a ride to Cabela's the whole family and picked up what Santa couldn't fit on his slay. Soooo Tuesday I was off to gun club, a new gun and new reloads. I had to walk it over some and the height was at 21/2-3" high I just left it for now. 120gr. B T Nosler. I took a stab at a load that turned out quate good, take off the walked shots it shot 4 touchin and one a hole out. I was real happy. I shot 2 and ran a patch through and again then said enough of that I'll clean at home. The scope came with the doner and is a 3x9 Banner. Not a target scope for sure. I plan to get a 4.4X14X40 AO Leuy in spring, so for now and breakin and workin loads the Banner will have to do. A guy on another site was talkin about barrel breakin and a reply came do it like this 1 shoot 2shoot 3shoot, my kind of guy. Thanks again on the nice, I'm real happy with the way it turned out sorta ol school lookin ....later

·
Registered
398 Posts
scthstn said:
I've been looking into building a rifle at is 30.06.

Does anyone know where to buy parts for one? And building a rifle, How tough is it to build?

Just wanting to know if it's worth the time and effort of building my very own rifle. I've never built a firearm, but I do build things for the Naval ships.

I have the mechanical skills, but I don't have machines to mill anything. So parts would need to be bought complete. And final assembly would be my responsiblity.

Thanks, Scott
Consider an older custom that needs refinishing. You'll save an easy $500 over having a gun built with all new parts. A couple years ago I bought an old custom Mauser rifle from one of my friends for $300. It already had a custom Douglas barrel with very strong rifling, a low profile safety, an nice bottom plate with a pronghorn buck on it, a custom turned down bolt and a Timney sportsman trigger. I had it re-blued and had the bolt fancied up with engine turning for under $100.00, reshaped, glass-bedded and refinished the gawdy-looking walnut stock myself for about $85.00 including new swivels, added a new HI-VIS 1 inch pad for $55.00 and then topped it off with a nice Scope for like $300. My buddy worked up some custom loads and it shoots 1/4 inch at 100 yards. This gun is my Avatar picture. For about $850 bucks it is a nice gun, fits me perfectly and I am proud to own it. So, I suggest checking gun shops and shows for old customs. Buy a cheapo Remington bore light and look for sharp rifling. Also check the fit on all parts before you buy. Ask to remove the metal from stock to check for pitting or rust underneath. After you look at a bunch of rifles, you'll get a real feel of what would hit your "cool" button. Mine is in .270 caliber. But, finding an '06 in an old custom shouldn't be too tough.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
You've got some points. My first custom rifle was a Mouser action that I had a Douglas 26" put on. Back then I had little money! Anyways I had it chambered for a 25.06 before factory rifles. That was it for awhile then I had a Mod.70 bolt handel put on it. Then drilled and tapped. It would look that way for a while and I'ed be goin nuts waitin. I bought a Fajen stock and did my own fittin and finish and a bud gun buff did the beddin job not that it's hard but I never did it. A friend had a side bussness rebuildin pianos and he helped me with the stock too some tricks of the trade. Rings and mounts and it was done. I never count the scope in price of gun. The 25.06 shot very well and blasted G-Hogs at any range, back then I shot 53 G-Hogs none under 300yds. After a few years bordem set in and I needed a change. I traded the rifle in at a gun shop for a new 700 222 and walked away with change. The change went towards the new G-Hog buster a .243 Mod.70 bull barrel, talk about a heavy gun wow, so my point is a nice custom a well done custom is worth somethin. There's always someone lookin for a fine peice. I've seen some beautiful guns in shops and big prices to go along. I saw when lookin for my doner gun a mint 700Rem. in .300 Savage older one gloss blue just a beautiful rifle with a $700.00 price tag. Way to nice a gun to dismantle, and I thought if??? I'ed leave it as is. Again I've seen some very nice springfields a work of art and sellen $1000.00 with beautiful stocks and high luster blue and in common cabiler's with good taper barrels. I've also seen some real junk home grown garage gunsmith's guns settin next to rusted 30.30's for $250.00....later

1 - 20 of 42 Posts