The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a couple weeks back we had some bad storms and a tornado scare here in Grove City. The fire whistles went off and the public adress system announced warnings. My wife children and I went to my gram's a block away because she is 93 to make sure she was safe and because her basement is like a bunker. My step-dad and mom arrived at the same time and we all hunkered down for an hour or so until the news said the dangerous part of the storm had passed. What got me thinking on this was I always planned to bug in with the family either at my place or the F.I.L's, but that night my step-dad brought a bag with him it was just a duffel bag, but in a discreet manner he told me to keep the kids away from it. It contained important documents, medicine, a basic first-aid kit, some water purification stuff, and a firearm with ammo. It really got me to thinking if for some reason if ever I have to leave the place that I have prepared for me and the family at a moments notice I want to be prepared. I've read on here alot the kinds of things you guys put in the bags. first aid, water purification tabs, matches, etc. But what kind of bags are you using? Just a small duffel like my step-dad? Or are you using a long haul pack. If the latter are you using internal frame or alice packs. My son is in cub scouts and we do alot of camping so if anyone could recommend a good pack that could be used for both and take a beating I would like to hear it. You can post types of gear bags or just links and put what you do or don't like about it, or if theres one out there you had and it fell apart let me know to stay away. If it's a bag that can be used for camping I don't mind spending some money as long as it holds up. Thanks guys appreciate the info.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I love the army backpacks. Their rugged and tested by the best. They can be had at most army and navy stores for pennies. Well not really pennies. You know what I mean.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
appreciate it, I was looking online at surplus army large alice packs with frame's, I figured they would hold up to most wear and tear, just wasn't sure how comfortable they would be.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
I humped an ALICE for years. Until I bought my internal frame pack I never realized how uncomfortable the ALICE was. I have a Black Diamond now, but any well known name pack will serve you well

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point, that seems pretty obvious but your right, I think I will have to get one bag for a bug out bag and then just have a regular camping bag for our other activities. That way the bug out bag can remained packed and ready to go.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I watched a show about preppers on NGC a couple nights ago. Pretty interesting on what some people are doing to prepare for disasters.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
a .22 rifle and pistol with several hundred rds of ammo is a nice addition to the bag. not the best gun for defense but one of the few you can carry that many rds easily

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not trying to get carried away or too paranoid but with katrina, and we had a family member in japan when that stuff happened I figured it couldn't hurt just to have the recommended couple days supply of food and water and supplies, always said I was gonna do it now I'm actually trying to.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tater, was thinking of that as well planning on keeping the bag near my safe I have a 9mm with 100rounds and a 22lr with a couple hundred I can grab quick. I always keep my 1911 .45 handy as well(it's my favorite), lately I've been trying to make sure I have easy to obtain calibers on hand. 100 rounds of winchester 9mm is only $20 some dollars, .45 is like $33 dollars, and 100 rounds of 12 gauge is like $22 at wally world local right now so when I'm there with the wife and have a couple extra bucks I try and pick it up.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I guess I am lucky, being active duty as a medical chief my unit was de-mil'ing some medical bags which are the blackhawk brand IDC bags, yeah right they got de-milled from the dumpster to my truck, mine is more of the "get home" type

I have one the outside attached with a carabiner a metal water bottle.
The outside compartment is to include a little more than standard military 1stAid kit, emergency water packets, water purification tabs. fire starter. A 38 snubbie with ammo. T.P. survival blanket, knife, letherman some extra batteries aa's and cr123's. a good flashlight and some mechanics gloves and beanie cap, some of the stuff you cant see like the cap, and alot of the 1st aid stuff.

Below is a pic of the backside compartment

there is a zipper closed compartment with lots of elastic loops for gear as shown in the next picture such as a bottle of h2o purification tabs, Krill light, gerber saw, electrical tape, small compass some more chem lights, a whistle etc.

below that pocket is another mesh pocket with one MRE in it, chicken and pasta

On the other side I have a gor-tex tarp to make a shelter or ranger roll, a poncho, some bungee straps and 550 cord to make a shelter or whatever and some zip ties. also some hand warmers and a bandana.

thats about all, I figure If I have to walk home I can go 2 days or so on foot just out of this bag and it weighs 11 pounds so I can really cover some ground with it on my back if needed.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Varmint, awesome
, can't wait to see the pics, I don't have them in my bag yet but I tend to go heavy on first aid. I am a nurse, so I keep lots of extra first aid stuff on hand.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
completely re-did the post with pics. some things I forgot to mention, I sarry a small ammount of tylenol, advil, pepto-bismol, antacid, loperimide (anti-diarrheal) topical benadryl, chapstick, tweezers, blister care stuff and 2 ace bandages in case of a twisted ankle. also carry some $1 bills and some quarters in case I find a soda machine that actually works in a disaster sitauation a soda is good for morale and the sugar/carbs can give you a quick boost of energy.

I also have been kickin around the idea of a small axe/hatchet or similar, ontario knife co. makes a nice rescue tool for about $40 and It has some good reviews on youtube

·
Registered
238 Posts
One thing to remember for bug out bags and any other uses is that water purification tablets have an expiration date. You can also use non scented chlorine bleach but that is expired as far as purification purposes after 3 months.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
varmint, nice bag, that's basically what I'm trying to get set up right now. Appreciate the pics.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
i recomend a spool of fishing line and hooks in ya'lls bags too.

a hatchet is a good belt carry, good for just about any task

1 - 17 of 17 Posts