The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on a spring bear hunt for the first time in Ontario, and have been warned to get a good bug jacket with a net attached to the hood. One thing that I think will be pretty important is to be able to see as well as possible through the netting. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with any certain brand or any suggestions on what I should look into or stay away from? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have been spring bear hunting for around 30 years,Ontario,then Quebec.For the first several years,we wore the rhinoskin undergarments,bugsuit,headnet,gloves,and duct taped our ankles and cuffs. Since the invention of the Thermacell,I wear only my usual bowhunting clothes.I bring a headnet and gloves,but hardly ever put them on.If the bugs are REAL bad,I will wear the net and gloves for my walk to the stand,and the first few minutes in the stand,until the Thermacell gets heated up.

Bob

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yes, thermocells will work on blackflies and skeeters. I've been there before the invention of them and they are incredible. If you've never sat in a tree during prime bug time in Canada, there's no way to describe it.

If you're going to wear the face netting, try coloring the inside of the mesh with a black marker, keeps the glare down and you'll be able to see better even in dim light. Since the thermocell, I've just worn a hat without the mesh

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
Buzz Off Outdoor Wear. I have the jacket and pants. The jacket has a full food that covers your face as well. You can see through it no problems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree Thermacell works well, have used it for several years now hunting, fishing and outback on the picnic table. Blackflies are stubborn, I'd use the thermacell with a bug suit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts