The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One Second After...

EMP was just activated causing complete grid failure nation wide... Its 2:15pm on a Thursday, what do you do?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
get my family and head for the woods.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Modern computer driven cars and trucks wont work... leaving nothing to hook your camper to but a tree... thoughts?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
my 1945 jeep will go anywhere i ask it to go, still can't beat the good old days.....

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Amen to that! My wife's grandfather had an old fire engine red Willy that he would drive all over the Green Mountains. That would certainly be a great bug out vehicle!

·
Registered
736 Posts
thegogetter222 said:
Modern computer driven cars and trucks wont work... leaving nothing to hook your camper to but a tree... thoughts?
never said it was going to be hooked to a modern vehical.nothing modern about 64 international pick up.Would have to make a few trips to get everyone there

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Wow, a lot depends on what's going on....

On a Thursday afternoon at 2:15pm my wife is at work and three of our four kids are at school....
Would fetch the kids and wait around a bit for the wife. If she doesn't show by the time I think she should then the kids would go down to her grandparents and I would 'load up' and head out looking.
Once everyone was accounted for and gear was loaded we would more than likely head for the hills.

Here is my troop hauler.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I live near Ft. Detrick and Camp David in MD, and work close to DC. My wife already knows when the big one happens, if I'm at work, she's to bug out immediately. Get the kids from school, grab the go-bags, the handgun, the .22, and take back roads to her parents in PA. I'll catch up when I can.

·
Registered
957 Posts
no it wont, and it also has limits on distance as to if an item is turned off when the pulse happens. anything on will basically be cooked... items farther away from the pulse and turned off have a fair chance of surviving.

A single pulse that would take out the grid nationally would need to be centered in the U.S the government study on it says that over central Kansas would be the ideal place for a nation wide pulse. I would first check my vehicle then may need to "borrow" one if mine fails.. head for home and grab gear and hunker down... i live in an area that is far from the larger cities so i would stay close to home since i know the area like the back of my hand. i would also hide supplies to prevent any stored items to be looted if that situation should arise. then begin tryint to contact friends and family ... there is safety in numbers.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, horses don't give a crap about EMPs : ) ha! lol

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
Being in the woods right now, we'll bug in until the blank starts hittin the fan.

Then we go deeper.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where are you at 2:15pm on most Thursdays? Generally, everyone's at work... more than likely in a urban or semi-urban locale. Could potentially be a rough trip home if everyone starts to panic... You may have an adventure ahead of you just to get home! Does your family know what to do if you're not around? You may or may not be able to reach them during this outage.

If you are home, are you prepared for the lack of water, electricity, food availability for an unknown amount of time?

just stimulating dialogue : )

·
Registered
957 Posts
where i live i am use to being without power, sometimes in the past for many days at a time. always learned from that to have a lot of food with a long shelf life at home. usually have some water stored but also have fresh water local to me. as for the family, my girlfriend knows to head home asap, and I would be on my way to her place, picking up any other supplies i can along the way.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
would emp damage be stopped/limited by covering a stored vehicle under a leaded cover- for instance making one old x-ray aprons, and the like and how much would need to be covered- only the computer module? all the electronics under the hood, etc. haven't really thought about emp effects. Thanks, keystonepaul

1 - 20 of 56 Posts