The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has come to my attention that I really need a rangefinder. I am looking for a small, no nonsense affordable rangefinder. Budget does not mean cheap. I want the best value. I don't think I need any angle compensation, but could be talked into it. I understand that affordable means different things to different people so I will give a figure of what I am expecting to spend but I would be willing to go cheaper or more expensive if something is worth it. Needs to be the following.

around $150
small
lightweight
easy to operate
take normal batteries (preferably AA)
range of atl least 400yrds (not just for archery)
good warranty

Thanks for all of your help in advance

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
What RobOz said. The Truth, or even the Scout 1000, both with ARC, will suit you fine for gun or bow. Saw both on Fleabay for your price range.

Not sure how many rangefinders out there use AA batteries. They take up a lot of unneeded space. Most use CR batteries. A CR-123A or CR-2 are the same 3 Volts as 2x AA batteries, in a smaller package.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I got the Simmons LRF 600 at Dick's two years ago on sale for $79.99. It works great for anything I need around here. They had them on sale again last season. The clerk at Dick's said they sell more of them, for every one of the other brands they sell.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I have the Bushnel Truth. Be aware that there are limitations to them. Fog,Any amount of decent fog makes them inoperable ,laser does not reflect back to the finder.. Low light. Most of the lower priced ones do not have an illuminator for the readings so at low light its very hard to see your range in the display. More expensive ones do light up ,so Im told. If its that low light then its outside legal shooting times.
Angle compensators. Unless you are shooting hundreds of yards up or down the mountain at severe angles or severe angle bow hunting over 40 yards you can probably do without it.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Good to check accuracy of any you buy but especially lower end models. This is a sample of only one so may not be indicative of the majority. I had a bushnell for a few years, don't remember the model, but I did range a few animals over 400 yds. For 36 years I've had a tape measured 100yd shooting range off my patio. After using the bushnell a couple years for whatever reason I ranged to the 100yd target, it said 88yds, a 14% error. I got the 150' tape measure out again and measured to the target, still exactly 100yds. Explains why caribou ranged at around 400 yds were actually close to 460 resulting in low hits.

I listed it on here for a minimal price stating the 14% error, it sold quickly and I now use a Leica that is just spot on.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Hmmmmmm , that may explain some of my longer groundhog misses these last couple of years . My 20 year old Bushnell 450 must need replaced . And here I thought it was me getting rusty after all of these years .

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for you help guys I appreciate it. Think I'm going to look into the scout due to it being smaller.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts