The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m possibly going to be in the market for an in-line this fall. Due to the new opportunities to hunt bear I figured what the heck. I could tote one of flintlocks but I haven’t bought a fire arm in awhile. I know very little about them but I I do see a pretty big price gap in some of the models. I’m not looking for anything fancy and would most likely put a 3x9 scope on it. I thoroughly enjoy bear hunting with my group of friends during the rifle season but I figured it can’t hurt to have one just in case. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm far from a pro but was in your place last year and settlef on a CVA based on reviews and what people had to say on this site. The Optima seems like a good starter, but I went with the Accura Mountain Rifle and love it. It's a little more middle of the road but very reasonable, so easy to clean/operator, and has a shorter 25" barrel. I had a lot of fun sneaking around with it this year and it's a great shooter.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
You could buy a good one that is used, and get a better gun, than buying a less quality budget gun. Seen some good used inlines on this site.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I agree with looking at used guns. A few years ago I bought a stainless TC Black Diamond from a guy in Texas that said he had got it to hunt hogs with. It came still in the factory packaging along with everything I needed to shoot it except powder for $175.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Personally, I would NEVER buy a used muzzleloader without thoroughly examining the barrel for abuse or bulging. A subtle bulge is almost impossible to detect without running a tight patch down barrel. A muzzleloader is more prone to barrel bulge as compared to a cartridge rifle.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I have a brand new TC Bone collector still in the box that I would trade for a 223 cal rifle

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
PHP:
I'm far from a pro but was in your place last year and settlef on a CVA based on reviews and what people had to say on this site. The Optima seems like a good starter, but I went with the Accura Mountain Rifle and love it. It's a little more middle of the road but very reasonable, so easy to clean/operator, and has a shorter 25" barrel. I had a lot of fun sneaking around with it this year and it's a great shooter.

X2 on the Accura Mountain Rifle

·
Registered
110 Posts
For the money it's hard to beat a TC impact.

·
Registered
256 Posts
i have a cva accura and love it. a friend of mine was looking for an inline but didnt want to spend a lot of money. i was at rogers ohio today and picked him up a cva wolf stainless with a black synthetic stock. had a tasco 3x9 50 mm scope. all new in the box for 260 bucks.

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
I've been looking at them as well. We sent for 2F tags this year due to the ability to shoot a bear in Oct. My son is a Jr hunter and my uncle is a Sr hunter so we figured why not try for a "twofer". I'm most likely going with the Wolf. I've read some good things about it and it won't break the bank.

·
Registered
85 Posts
A few years ago, Sportsmans Guide had a special and I got a CVA Wolf with a scope for $243. It shoots well and I have killed 2 doe with it during early inline season. Watch for sales, and as others have mentioned CVA inlines shoot well and are easy on the wallet.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Years ago when getting into shooting inlines I bought a budget level CVA...Hunterbolt & later a CVA Optima Pro. Both were excellent shooters & met my expectations at that time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you don't mind buying from Dicks they have the TC Impact in black/blue for $229 and the camo with weathershield barrel for $249. I picked 1 up for my 11 year old daughter because the Impact has the 1" spacer on the stock and it fits her perfect. We plan on shooting some 200 grains sabots over 50 grains of 777 this weekend for practice. The will work up to 80 grains.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts