The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I imagine you should keep it mowed to keep the deer interested?

·
Registered
672 Posts
No, you dont want to mow buckwheat. When it is actively growing it is very attractive to deer. Once it goes to seed the deer are less interested but turkey, bear and grouse will use the plot. In addition the buckwheat will add alot of organic matter to the soil for future plots.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
If the deer don't keep it mowed, it can get pretty darned tall and thick. Been there, done that.

My buddy has found that buckwheat is one of the best companion crops for his clover plantings. I have to agree. Works well.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Which clover does he or you mix in with it Dutch? I am thinking of using buckwheat as a summer cover crop between when I hit my plot with Roundup in May and replant for the fall in late August...

I was thinking of doing just buckwheat, but would consider some clover. Berseem perhaps?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
The deer never touched mine this year till it dried up and beacme yellow. Then they ate it hard for about 2 weeks. All around the week of early muzzleloader. It was mixed in with some oats and wheat. Never saw any turkey eating the seeds. What i need to find is something that peaks now. After the brassica forage is gone and before they hit the roots. Think i planted the wheat and oats too soon. Seeing deer in most cover crops, but my grass is a foot tall and not tender? Maybe a corn/ soy mix for this time as all the corn has been chopped and beans picked. If im planting for max forage can i plant corn in 6 inch rows?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
This guy only uses Imperial Whitetail clover. He is in an area of Ohio that has lots of deer. He generally plants his clover/buckwheat in June. The Buckwheat shades and keeps the clover moist. The deer eat the BW so it doesn't get real tall. In mid August, he mows the BW to release the clover.

I think he plants the BW at 100 lbs per acre.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Dutch, that is an interesting combo... Not sure it would work for what I am looking to do, but a neat idea none the less.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
To be honest, he has always had trouble getting decent clover plots, but this combo has solved that problem.

The first time he did it, they had a terrible drought out there. We mowed that clover come August and that clover just took off and got real thick by October. I was amazed by it, but, understood why it worked.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Being senile, I may have already posted this. Buckwheat is called that because buckwheat seed are similar to beech seeds, athough smaller and darker. The german for beech seeds is "buc", hence bucwheat, then Buckwheat. Great green manure crop, cover crop but not high on deers favored fodders. (unfortunately, since I can grow this very easily up here in NNY)

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Buckwheat, so easy a caveman can grow it. LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts