The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about giving this a try next year.When do you plant it and does it need mowed?What type of fertilizer?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
you can usually plant buckwheat from early May to the end of July. Sometimes later. Nope it dosen't need to be mowed. I'd check your soil first before fertilizing.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
threeinchmag said:
Thinking about giving this a try next year.When do you plant it and does it need mowed?What type of fertilizer?
Doesn't take frost too well, so plant late. Its very easy to grow, almost idiot proof, which makes it great for you. LOL

Seriously Rich, ya ain't gonna mess it up. Doesn't even take a lot of fertilizer either.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
actually, what was said about low fertilizer requirement seems to jive with other info I've read. they stated that it actually does not do well with to high of a nitrogen level (which seems strange for a non-legume)

It grows well, but I do not see the deer flocking to it (once again, I tried some late this year and they are not using it too much)

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses gentlemen.

Oh you too Brad.

I'm going to plant a plot next year and see what happens.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
One year I planted 2 plots with BW. One got about 4 ft tall, the other was destroyed. Plots were about 500 yds apart, maybe.

Can say this, that plot that got 4 ft tall was a major pain. I had so much BW I couldn't chop it up with the disc. If you run into that situation, KILL IT BEFORE IT GETS TOO TALL.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's one thing that worries me about the BW.The rape isn't growing as high as I'd like.I'm not crazy about the dwarf essex rape.Doesn't get big enough to give a good yield in my opinion.I'm not sure if they'll hit the buckwheat because the farmer next door has two hay fields.We'll see what happens.
thanks Brad

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
What are the benefits of BW? I am looking at killing off my food plot around early May next year. Going to RoundUp the whole thing and start over... Looking to plant something between May and when I then plant my fall food plot. I am thinking he BW might be a good plant to fill the space betweeen May and late August...

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
BW, will inhibit weed growth for you. Also, the root mass will add organic material to the soil and keep the soil loose. If planted on sloping soil, it'll keep erosion down, which keeps that lime and fertilizer IN your soil.

If it goes to seed, the turkeys love it. Plus, its pretty high in protein when young, good for lactating does.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I will say that you'll have a good amount of "trash" to deal with when its time to do your Fall foodplots. You can't just broadcast into it. You'll have to plow in some fashion and spend some time preparing the fields to incorporate all the "biomass"... The stuff really does grow aggressively.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
CJBS2003 said:
I'll probably bush hog it and then till the left overs into the soil.
That is why I mentioned to Threeinch that if he sees it getting away from him, kill it. Lots of biomass like Magnus said and tilling it in can be a problem. On the other hand, you may have enough deer that they will keep it trimmed back.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Our local NWTF Chapter, in cooperation with the PGC planted buckwheat in a 2 acre plot 2 years ago. It came in great. It was never there long enough to go to seed though, in a matter of two weeks that field got heads on it...and got tore up! We did this to improve the soil, so it as OK that the seeds didn't drop. I was impressed with how cool it looked, and the interest the deer had in it. Good luck!

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Yeah, buckwheat makes us all loook like we know what we're doing. LOL

If ya can't get buckwheat to grow, well, ya ain't got a green thumb at all.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dutch said:
How tall is your DE rape?

In three plots it never gets over 2 inches.If the soil test was correct the PH is fine.Clover grows great in those plots yet the rape sprouts then hardly grows.The spring rape was left untouched by critters until lately and only grew maybe 2-3 inches.How big is dwarf supposed to grow brad?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Mine gets to be about a foot or so, at least.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts