The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did I miss a regulation change?
According to the book, doe AND buck are still legal game in these special counties after 1/9/09? Wasn't the rule, buck or doe thru the end of the normal muzzleloader season and then it was does only thru the rest of the special season in the special reg areas?
DEER, ANTLERED or ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (WMUs 2B, 5C & 5D): Dec. 26-Jan. 23, 2010

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
Correct. Flintlock only though. That change was made this past spring by commissioner Isabella.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have ALWAYS thought that was a good idea..the key notion is to reduce the herd. it never happened but I was always nervous about Mr Big showing up in those extended two weeks and having to wave at him. I dont think I could have handled it mentally.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I sort of question these late seasons for antlerless deer. How many shed antler bucks are being killed? Or isn't it a factor?

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
Dutch said:
I sort of question these late seasons for antlerless deer. How many shed antler bucks are being killed? Or isn't it a factor?
When I dropped my flintlock doe off this past weekend, I looked over the deer already there and two of them were shed antler bucks. Judging from the size of the pedicels and the bodies they were 2.5+.

Probably does not matter much though as the deer need taken from these areas.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
removal of the shed antler bucks will have minimal impact on future population, but could have a significant impact on the quality of future antlered populations. WE have no clue how big these 2.5 year old bucks were, and what kind of headgear they sport...

Nevertheless, the late season is used to lower the population by removing does. at this point in the season, the does have been bred and the bucks have done their deed.

I know from a taste perspective, a buck taken at this time of year would probably be a bit gamier than the does...

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
dpms said:
Correct. Flintlock only though. That change was made this past spring by commissioner Isabella.
why FL only? If you need deer taken from areas with limited access, why not allow archery, too?

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
LONZO said:
I thought you were allowed to use crossbows in muzzy season if you had a muzzy license.
No longer.

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
John Henry said:
why FL only? If you need deer taken from areas with limited access, why not allow archery, too?
Seems reasonable in the SRA. Maybe shoot him an email and see if he would support bringing archery in line with flintlock in the SRA's.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Good thing I already have a buck or I would have been breaking the law for about a week since there is a nice buck bedding behind my house about every morning. Ignorance is no excuse but what can I say, I'm human and didn't realize they changed the law. This area is so small, it's archery only, so I don't see why they couldn't add archery for the Muzzie season. I always bot a muzzy tag just for this purpose, so I guess they will lose a sale next yr.......I stand corrected, I can still archery hunt bucks until jan 9.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
do you need me to come in there and do a yardage assessment with my range finder to be sure my flinter couldnt get in there?

·
Administrator
39,067 Posts
pt1e said:
Did I miss a regulation change?
According to the book, doe AND buck are still legal game in these special counties after 1/9/09? Wasn't the rule, buck or doe thru the end of the normal muzzleloader season and then it was does only thru the rest of the special season in the special reg areas?
DEER, ANTLERED or ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (WMUs 2B, 5C & 5D): Dec. 26-Jan. 23, 2010
You did miss something!1/9/09 should read 1/9/10!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Part of the problem is that they fragment these seasons so much that you need a scorecard to keep track of what is legal when and where. I don't get why you can shoot a buck with a flintlock in a late season but not with a bow if you have a valid tag. Then they wonder why we end up with gun vs bow vs fl and so on. Doesn't matter to me as I use both so will just stay with the flinter - just saying.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts