The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm already tagged out this year and will be the camps "Utility man" during buck season. I'm one of the youngest so I can expect 3 or 4 good drags if all goes well. Am I correct in thinking that I can carrying a rifle during buck season if i have a valid furtakers license to shoot coyotes? I know if I don't have a gun with me waiting for the radio to go off telling me to come drag I'll have the little buggers crawling all over me.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Yes. Plus bear might be open where you hunt, check the book and get a bear tag!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish bear was in! I'll be in clearfield county and I've seen bear during buck season for the last 3 years in a row, but never a bear during bear lol!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Gotta have a valid unused deer tag on you to be able to tote a weapon during regular firearms deer season, even for coyotes. (other than a handgun with a ltcf)
And as I understand it, a doe tag is not valid, for that purpose until does become legal game in the WMU you're in.

·
Registered
24,867 Posts
Coyote—(During any big game season) May be taken while lawfully hunting big game<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline"> or </span>with a furtaker’s license. </span>

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Timberdoodle's right as rain, as usual.

Just to clarify, as I understand it and unless they changed the rule, you may not "participate in the hunt of other big game" while toting that rifle.

As I interpret it, that means no driving deer or assisting others in locating deer. Dragging deer, I believe, is permissible and moreover, quite commendable.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
i either have always been wrong about his, or may be wrong this year. I can't find reference to "participating in the hunt" in the digest.

Maybe someone else can help?

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
You can not participate in the hunt while carrying a gun and hunting furbearers with a furtaker license, during big game season, without a valid tag. Orange requirements must be met as well.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yes you can carry with a furtakers license but can not participate. I'm not sure if dragging a deer would be participating or not. Just a guess but I would think it is. Because if thats all they see is you dragging a deer with a raido and no tags how are they to know if you were driving for or sitting with the person who shot the deer but a quick call or email to the game commission will answer your question.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Cooperation after lawfully killing big game.
(a) General rule.--Except as provided in section 2301(b) (relating to lawful cooperation or assistance) and subsection (a.1), it is unlawful for any person who has lawfully killed any big game to hunt for or cooperate with any other person hunting for big game of the same species while carrying a loaded firearm of any kind, a bow and nocked arrow or any other device capable of killing any big game.

I would say that if someone radios you for help, then you had probably better make sure your gun is unloaded while going to help them and while helping them. That is if it isn't considered cooperating with them by carrying a radio and communicating with them for help. Email the PGC and see what they say.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input. I missed the cooperation part in the book. I'll bring the camera instead.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
(a.1), it is unlawful for any person who has lawfully killed any big game to hunt for <span style="text-decoration: underline">or cooperate with any other person hunting for big game</span>

If it is to drag an already hunted, harvested and properly tagged big game, how is it still considered "hunting for big game"? The hunting is done.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I'm with Rusty on this one. If you're just sitting out of sight of the other hunters, not pushing deer, and waiting to pull one out, you should be fine.

A radio is nothing more than a communication device, much like a cell phone, and as long you're not using it to pass along the location of game, you should be good.

Unless you're actually observed participating in the hunt, they can't draw conclusions from what you are carrying.

In theory, at least.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If someone were to put on a drive, even without having a gun, they still have to buy a general hunting license? They cannot just put on orange and participate in the hunt, yes?

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
67kmq said:
If someone were to put on a drive, even without having a gun, they still have to buy a general hunting license? They cannot just put on orange and participate in the hunt, yes?
No. If they have never held a pa license they can participate. So long as they are close to a licensed Hunter, and the number of unlicensed hunters does not exceed the number of licensed ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts