The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from hunting & I was more surprise to see more deer sign in my clover plots that are 5 years old than my BFO plots. We had fresh snow each night I was there at camp & by the next morning the clover plots were tore up. One of my 1/2 ac BFO plots was not even touched. Deer tracks revealed that deer were walking thru the BFO plots to get to the clover.

Buck season it was the other way around.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Oats are a fall food source and will stay green through a few frosts but they're not going to stay green all winter. In my opinion your just as well off to plant regular oats as opposed to BFO.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Oats are not nearly as valuable a winter forage in the north as they are in the south... Wheat and triticale are better choices for northern parts of PA.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
CJBS2003 said:
Oats are not nearly as valuable a winter forage in the north as they are in the south... Wheat and triticale are better choices for northern parts of PA.
Don't forget winter rye.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dutch I wanted to try winter wheat but the Agway up in Susq, co, did not sell it.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Isn't Andre's the big Agway up there? Seems hard to believe they did not have winter wheat, but, maybe that area doesn't see much use for it as down here, we double crop a great deal.

Winter rye should be available maybe as a soil conservation planting?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts