The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting in my last food plot of the year today. Trying buck forage oats. Anyone have any luck with them?? Just trying to get a wide range of food sources.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I planted them last year about Sept. 1st. They grew well, but the deer still preferred our brassicas. I really didn't think they did better, or were liked more than winter wheat or rye.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had alot great years with brassica and have always loved corn and clovers. I just had a little trouble with my clover this year and i have already put in 6 acres of brassica. Was hoping buck forage oats did what it claimed, guess i got jipped again!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I wouldn't say "jipped", they are a good crop and somewhat frost tolerant. I am just not sure I would consider them to be extra special. Having said all that I did consider planting them this year but went a different route.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
All oats are frost tolerant up to a certain point. Once you hit a certain temperature they're all toast. To be honest I think you're further ahead to just plant plain old oats. JMO

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I planted BFO the last two years & I'm not that impressed with the product. This past January while hunting late season muzzleloader, I had a chance to hunt for 3 days with fresh snowfall every night. There was some digging, but not like the digging that occured in my clover plots & clover / chickory plot.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Eye, do regular oats "winter over"? I was surprised to see about 20% winter over each time I used them. Personally I question if they are worth the price difference but the advertising has pulled me in twice.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
I've personally never seen any oat variety winter over. If they go to seed you may get some regrowth from that in the spring. I read something once, maybe even posted on here, that a guy planted Buck Forage Oats and a regular variety and I believe the BFO stayed green a little longer but I also believe he said the deer seemed to prefer the other variety.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i will keep an eye on the BFO and see how much the deer enjoy them. This will be a good test year for them.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Just put some winter wheat in again this year. 50 lbs for 10 bucks. Can't beat it, it grows great and the deer eat it.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
SFrenz said:
Just put some winter wheat in again this year. 50 lbs for 10 bucks. Can't beat it, it grows great and the deer eat it.
Yep, thats what its all about. Bet there was no deer pic on that bag of winter wheat. LOL

There are times when some varieties of deer seed is worth it, but can't say the BFO thing is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts