The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent the first week of the season watching 8 different buck, from fights to them making rubs. But I just couldn't get on a decent one. Now, being a junior hunter, with this being the last season I will be,I could have shot any of the ones I saw. I passed several nice young buck that were legal, including a 6 point standing broadside at 50 yards. But I am trying to let the little ones grow, and I also knew my cousin had never shot a buck and would be coming on the first Saturday, so I passed it in hopes he would get a shot. Well Saturday came, and 45 minutes into our hunt, he got a shot. We think he either grazed it or missed clean. We never found blood. The deer didn't run, it just walked off. We did find some hair, but it was along a barbed wire fence which had hair in it from deer going through it (the buck did NOT go through it) so we don't know if it was from his deer or not. We followed the trail as best we could, and then spent 3 hours grid searching, with no sign of it anywhere. So the second week started Monday, and we went out for an evening hunt stationed in the corner of a cornfield. Early on, a doe (which we were going to shoot) came out but busted us before we could get a shot. About 10 minutes later, two mature doe came busting past us, only stopping briefly and behind brush. By now I figured that, after getting busted by 3 deer, our chances were getting slim. So we pulled out the can all, and did some bleats. About 15 minutes later, after bleats about every 5 minutes, I heard something coming into the field adjacent to the corn field. Out stepped an eight pointer! I saw he was young, but my goal was an eight point or bigger, and with the end of the season near, and the fact I had only got one buck in the past 3 years, after passing over 20 buck in the past two years, I decided I was done passing them lol(until next year). He turned broadside and I dropped him with a shoulder shot from the good ole .270. One extra shot to finish him off quicker, and I had my second buck ever! Nice 8 point! Couldn't be happier!

I will be posting the link to the Youtube vid soon!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts