The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where I hunt is nothing but a wall of thick where you can’t see 30 yds in front of you. In your opinion what’s the best brush gun. Mine would be a 350 legend with an 18” barrel. Or my 12 ga 870 that I used to shoot buckshot out of but now use a 22” slug barrel. Everyone has they’re own opinions.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Yeah, don't overthink it.. up close and in heavy cover I'd opt for something reasonably quick to point with a short overall length...
Caliber concerns would be a distant second thought.... unless we're talking lightly constructed bullets going lightning fast.... but they're not really great choices for deer anyway...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I mostly just hunt the brush with my standard deer rifle though I did prefer to carry my Pre-War Model 70 in 30-06 when we were doing drives.

I guess technically now my “brush gun” is a 16.5” Chiappa 1886 in 45-70 with a suppressor. With full power 325gr FTX loads it isn’t exactly hearing safe but it’s way better than unsuppressed. Now that Hornady has released the 410gr Sub-X I’m going to give them a try as subs are hammer fall quiet in that rifle.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Anything that is short, handy and you can aim quickly, I suppose.

They have done tests on "brush guns" and deflection. The big, slow and heavy rounds did no better than the lighter, smaller faster rounds. An interesting point was revealed in one of the studies: No branch can deflect any bullet. A piece of metal going 2000 mph isn't going to have its direction changed by a wispy branch. What the branch does is make the bullet expand a little. Now the shape/aerodynamics of the bullet has changed, causing it to steer off like an improperly tuned arrow/broadhead. A flat nosed 45/70 bullet may deform even more than a 30 caliber spitzer. Causing it to veer off even more.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Anything that is short, handy and you can aim quickly, I suppose.

They have done tests on "brush guns" and deflection. The big, slow and heavy rounds did no better than the lighter, smaller faster rounds. An interesting point was revealed in one of the studies: No branch can deflect any bullet. A piece of metal going 2000 mph isn't going to have its direction changed by a wispy branch. What the branch does is make the bullet expand a little. Now the shape/aerodynamics of the bullet has changed, causing it to steer off like an improperly tuned arrow/broadhead. A flat nosed 45/70 bullet may deform even more than a 30 caliber spitzer. Causing it to veer off even more.
I have done a test as well. An orange painted metal silhouette barely visible behind 6 feet of Greenbriar at 50 yards. Guns were 30-30, 7mm Rem Mag, and 450 Marlin. The 30-30 registered 3 hits. The 7mm Mag got 2 hits. But the 450 Marlin went 5 for 5.
The tests the pros do always include wood dowel rods. There's a lot of stuff your bullet might contact in the Woods other than Wood

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I remember first day of buck season using a 243. I see a doe and buck in the brush walking through the thick brush broad side to boot 40 yards. I waited till he walked through a some what not so thick as the doe pasted through. Well I shot no reaction. First thought was bullet deflected. I waited then for the buck step out on the path and my season was over.
I honestly believe the 95 grain hit brush and went of course. If I was hunting the thick brush I would use heavy round nose bullets in a 30 cal. or larger.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts