The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
Tomlin wore out his welcome a couple of years ago. Now he's over extending his stay. He is ignorant and arrogant. And after reading his comments in the article, he's obviously not intelligent. I took him off my Christmas card list a number of years ago.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
GIE said:
Tomlin wore out his welcome a couple of years ago. Now he's over extending his stay. He is ignorant and arrogant. And after reading his comments in the article, he's obviously not intelligent. I took him off my Christmas card list a number of years ago.
<---------- Wants Cowher back ASAP. We need a coach, not a best friend.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
steelerfan58 said:
Arians may be a good coach. He just was a poor fit for Pittsburgh.
steelerfan58 said:
Arians may be a good coach. He just was a poor fit for Pittsburgh.
Ariens is a good coach. He's just not a good fit for how you like to see football played. Had that been in his job description, he would have tried harder. I'm sure of it.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
GIE said:
Ignorant, arrogant, and not intelligent? And you made these deductions how? It kind of sounds like the pot calling the kettle (well, you know the rest).

Do a little research, and see how many first time Head Coaches have led a team to the Super Bowl twice in their first six seasons. Of all Coaches, Tomlin is one of only about 20 that has made the big game more than once.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Wants Cowher back ASAP. We need a coach, not a best friend.
Cowher made the steelers into the atlanta braves of the nfl,ALL that talent and 1 championship, he also couldnt keep OCers as he went thru 3 in 4 years in one stretch and was the worst at clock management,besides losing in AFC championship games on a regular bases,cowher was lucky to keep his job on numerous occasions.In a nutshell the chin was and is viewed as an underachiever with the steelers.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Ariens is mediocre at best. With a whole staff around him things are different because of his perspective.

Tomlin needs to pull out the chin and bust some balls. I think he is a good fit for Pittsburgh, just needs to get some young talent on the defensive side. The offense is young and will gel. Defense needs a revamp.

Glad to see Ariens gone, want to see what Tomlin can do in 5 years. After 5 years and no super bowl win/loss he needs to go.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
BuckRub00 said:
Wants Cowher back ASAP. We need a coach, not a best friend.
Cowher made the steelers into the atlanta braves of the nfl,ALL that talent and 1 championship, he also couldnt keep OCers as he went thru 3 in 4 years in one stretch and was the worst at clock management,besides losing in AFC championship games on a regular bases,cowher was lucky to keep his job on numerous occasions.In a nutshell the chin was and is viewed as an underachiever with the steelers.
Maybe Cowher should have cheated like a winning team.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
angus said:
Ariens is mediocre at best. With a whole staff around him things are different because of his perspective.

Tomlin needs to pull out the chin and bust some balls. I think he is a good fit for Pittsburgh, just needs to get some young talent on the defensive side. The offense is young and will gel. Defense needs a revamp.

Glad to see Ariens gone, want to see what Tomlin can do in 5 years. After 5 years and no super bowl win/loss he needs to go.
That is the most idiotic statement that I have read in a Steelers thread......the defense is/was the only reason that the Steelers even had a shot at the wild card.......the defense carried this years team on their back for the most part, they kept them in every game with the exception of Denver......the offense couldn't hold up their end of the bargain, and that is where the problems lie.....

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Buckshot1822 said:
angus said:

That is the most idiotic statement that I have read in a Steelers thread......the defense is/was the only reason that the Steelers even had a shot at the wild card.......the defense carried this years team on their back for the most part, they kept them in every game with the exception of Denver......the offense couldn't hold up their end of the bargain, and that is where the problems lie.....
because you do not agree with my opinion it's idiotic? The defense carried at times, but in reality your argument is false. Palamalallaulluuuliuu played how many games? Was he effective when he was in there?

The Offense is young and did not play that well. The Steeler D that's been there since Cowher would have done a better job at keeping them in the hunt a few years ago. It's a team effort to suck this year. The Oakland game was all I needed to see to know where the season was going.

When do you suggest a revamp of the D? After the Offense matures and then you blame the D for not making the playoffs?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm afraid we have seen the best of this group....& tht this yr was the beginning of a downward arc... With aging players, to many open position issues & not snuff talent or draft picks...
The speeches, the witty commentary, the endless coach isms frm Coach Tomlin have had their day...
Imho

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
angus said:
Buckshot1822 said:
angus said:

because you do not agree with my opinion it's idiotic? The defense carried at times, but in reality your argument is false. Palamalallaulluuuliuu played how many games? Was he effective when he was in there?

The Offense is young and did not play that well. The Steeler D that's been there since Cowher would have done a better job at keeping them in the hunt a few years ago. It's a team effort to suck this year. The Oakland game was all I needed to see to know where the season was going.

When do you suggest a revamp of the D? After the Offense matures and then you blame the D for not making the playoffs?
The Defense is like a continuous body, like the US Senate. A few guys get replaced each year. That's how they keep the same tenacity and RESPECT FOR THE STEELER TRADITION on defense. Not so on offense. They had the #1 defense in football. WITHOUT TROY!! Troy, BTW, was effective. It won't show up on any stat sheet. Look up the numbers for Deion Sanders sometime. They are EXTREMELY underwhelming, but I doubt anyone would question his effectiveness during his prime. What more, exactly, do you expect them to do? More turnovers? It would have been nice, but for what? So Ben can toss more pick 6's? Do you really expect the defense to be responsible for scoring all of the points, too? The issue was 100% offense this year, like last year. 3rd downs were better this year. The running back shell game was a disaster. You commit to ONE back, and establish him. There were FAR too many games where we had close to 30 carries, but our leading rusher only had 10 carries. That's just dumb. I don't want to hear any crap of "they are all just to talented, we need to get them all touches". BS!! If any of them were that good, they wouldn't be anyone's backup, and I include my man Redman in that. Dwyer is easily the best back, at least the most consistent one. Spinderella may be more talented, but he's an arrogant head case. Wallace mailed it in this year, as far as I'm concerned. Total meltdown for him. For a guy who wants paid like the best, he played like a faster version of Limas Sweed. But at least Sweed would block. Having Ward would have been nice, Farrior too. But Tomlin knew he lost his two leaders, and didn't step it up. Tomlin looked clueless. The 56 yarder on the road with one of the NFLs weakest kickers? A 54 yarder at the toughest place in the league, with the same kicker? That atrocious fake FG call? Failing to go for two against San Diego? That was a give up, and the players knew it.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
They had the #1 defense in football.
And a 8-8 record to prove it.And blown 4th quarter leads to prove it.Keep making excuses and sooner than later your convince yourself than having the # 1 defense is more important than making the play-offs.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Boy, has this thread taken a turn. But, I'll play. Where do I start.

"The Defense is like a continuous body, like the US Senate. A few guys get replaced each year. That's how they keep the same tenacity and RESPECT FOR THE STEELER TRADITION on defense. Not so on offense. They had the #1 defense in football. WITHOUT TROY!! What more, exactly, do you expect them to do? More turnovers? It would have been nice, but for what? So Ben can toss more pick 6's? Do you really expect the defense to be responsible for scoring all of the points, too? The issue was 100% offense this year, like last year."

I can not take credit for the following, but for the most part agree with the writer (see full text here) : "The easy way out would be to credit Dick LeBeau for having the “No. 1 defense” again, while overcoming injuries to key players such as Troy Polamalu, James Harrison, Ike Taylor, LaMarr Woodley and Ryan Clark.

But that would be a sham. This defense was never anywhere close to being the best in the league, and a lousy indicator like total yards allowed would trick you into thinking otherwise.

Instead, let’s face the facts. The Pittsburgh defense is getting old, and they were fortunate to have faced the fewest defensive plays from scrimmage this season (889; the 2-13 Chiefs are next with 897).

For much of the early season, the Steelers ranked in the bottom half of the league in points per drive allowed, due to a smaller number of drives faced. This comes back to the offense’s early-season dominance on third down.

Through Week 15, the Steelers are 13th in points per drive allowed, which sounds like a much more accurate representation of their season. This is just not the same defense from a few years ago.

Despite all the blitzes, the Steelers have just 33 sacks this season, and getting pressure has been a real struggle as Harrison and Woodley fail to produce in injury-plagued seasons. Lawrence Timmons has really emerged as the defense’s best player this season, but by position, he’s not going to get a lot of pressure.

But the single biggest problem the defense faces is their inability to make game-changing plays. That’s what the NFL is all about now: creating takeaways, defensive scores, forcing field-goal attempts in the red zone, big stops on third/fourth down, and closing the door in the fourth quarter.

The goal is not to hold the opponent under 300 yards. You have to dynamically change the game, and without a player like Polamalu healthy and back to his old self, they just do not have the capability to do so.

But there were opportunities, which we will see. They just do not make them, and have not been making them. The Steelers have 16 takeaways this year after just 15 last season.

The 31 takeaways over the last two seasons is by far the worst ever in franchise history, with several other recent pairs of seasons in the mix. Four teams have more takeaways in 2012 than the Steelers in the last two seasons combined."

The Steelers ranked 25th in the league in takeaways.
The Steeler D allowed their opponent to score a TD from the red zone 52% of the time (for reference, in 2009, they were @45%).
The Steelers fared pretty well in holding their opponents to a 35% third down conversion rate. But, they allowed their opponent to convert on 74% of their 4th down tries.

Defensive shortcomings early in the season were a problem.
Denver - The Steeler O won the TOP battle 35 to 25. The Steelers scored a TD seconds into the 4th quarter, going up 19-14. But, on the very next drive, the D allows Denver to score a TD on an 80 yard drive. During the drive, Denver was never worse than second and something. The shortest play of the drive was the 1 yard pass for a touchdown (thank goodness for the endzone, otherwise the Broncos roll all the way to the Pacific ocean). Giving up 10, 4th quarter points in all, the D puts the offense into a situation where a TD was required to win the game. Sure, Ben throws a pick to end their chances. But, if you expect some sort of "perfection" from the offense, you must use the same guidelines/logic with the D.

Oakland, the Steelers are up 10 going into the 4th. Oakland opens the quarter driving the ball 80 yards for a TD. The D had Oakland at 3rd and 9, and 3rd and 8, but couldn't make a play and get off the field. Brown fumbles on the next Steeler possession. The D gives up a FG on a 50 yard drive. The Steelers won the TOP battle again, 36-24. Could the Offense have done more, sure, but so could the D.

Tennessee - The Steelers lost the TOP battle, 31-29. But, they run 6:42 off the clock late/early in the 3rd/4th quarter on an 87 yard 15 play drive. They score a TD, and go up 20-16. Later in the quarter, LT intercepts a pass, and the Steelers add a FG. The Steelers are up by 7 with 10 minutes remaining. The D responds on the very next Tenn offensive possession, by giving up a TD on an 11 play, 80 yard drive (notice a pattern?). Highlights were the inability of the D to get off the field on 3rd-8, 3rd-10, and 3rd-5. Somebody has got to make a play! (The same comment holds true for the next Steeler Offensive possession, as Suisham missed a FG.)

Giving up three 4th quarter leads in the first five games set the Steelers off on a bad start.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
"3rd downs were better this year."

Better is a relative term. They were red HOT in the first half of the season, cooling off later on. They finished the season off converting on a total of 41.96% of their third down conversions. Last year, they converted on 45.75%.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
"The running back shell game was a disaster. You commit to ONE back, and establish him. There were FAR too many games where we had close to 30 carries, but our leading rusher only had 10 carries. That's just dumb."
No argument here. But, maybe the coaching staff knows something we don't (more on that later).

"I don't want to hear any crap of "they are all just to talented, we need to get them all touches". BS!! If any of them were that good, they wouldn't be anyone's backup, and I include my man Redman in that."
Who exactly was dishing out that line?

"Dwyer is easily the best back, at least the most consistent one. Spinderella may be more talented, but he's an arrogant head case."
Dwyer had three good games, but did nothing late in the season when it was his chance to shine. To think he can handle the starting role, I'm not sold. Plus, many in the media, and former Steelers have questioned Dwyers stamina. Apparently, he likes to pull himself out of the game on a regular basis.
RMen is the most talented back. But, as you stated, he's a headcase. I hope he's gone, but won't be shocked if he ends up back next year. He's really put himself in a bind. Who is going to give such a headcase the money he feel he deserves? Especially after he quit on his team so late in the season.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
"Having Ward would have been nice, Farrior too. But Tomlin knew he lost his two leaders, and didn't step it up."
Farrior and Ward ascended to a leadership roll. It's not Tomlins roll to fill that void. Players have to step up and take this role on their own.

"Tomlin looked clueless. The 56 yarder on the road with one of the NFLs weakest kickers?"
To which kick/game are you referring? Calling Tomlin clueless, yet not having the facts straight? Suisham had kicked a 52 yarder earlier in the 4th quarter of the Tenn game, with plenty of leg. At that point, he was 10 for 10 on the season. I didn't care much for the call, and may have even posted that. But, I think Tomlin was showing faith in a player.

"Failing to go for two against San Diego? That was a give up, and the players knew it."
This was just internet, and talk show fodder. Going for two would have been like putting "lipstick on a pig". You're asking a team that rarely tries 2 point conversions to make three in one game? Who's crazy? Take the "sure" points, and maximize your possessions.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts