The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so last deer season my Browning A Bolt 300WSM. I shoot at a deer and the bolt cycled but the lugs sheared off in the action.
I was using factory ammo per Browning specs.

I sent the rifle back to browning and 3 months later I got a letter with a parts list with labor cost and that any other issues they might find along the way that they would contact me before they proceeded for permission due to extra costs and what not.

So I sent them a check for $218 as per their instructions and today I came home to find UPS notice tagged to my door.

Late for deer season but I finally would have my gun back.
I rushed to the local UPS center to pick it up.

When I opened the box I found a refurbished X Bolt.
Not my A bolt.

In the box was a receipt for parts for my A Bolt but as I looked again it wasn't my A Bolt it was an X Bolt.
I was never contacted by Browning about this change or to say that they were unable to complete the work.

This was the only gun my Dad ever bought me, so you can imagine the sentimental value it holds for me.

I'm looking for some help here I know I'm calling first thing in the morning.
Is this kind of thing common practice?
Did I get screwed as bad as I think I did?

Thanks for any insight in advance.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
That stinks, hopefully they can get you fixed up tomorrow. I have never had good experiences with Browning customer service.

Mac

·
Registered
484 Posts
Wow..I would expect that they would communicate to you any issues and offer you the option of taking the gun to a gunsmith before they just tossed your old gun away.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm At loss for words. I sent that rifle to them in march and just now got it back and they wouldn't repair it for free. Even tho it was defective they said I had to pay for repairs since its older than five years old. You would think that browning would stand behind their product no matter what on defective parts....

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
For future reference find yourself a qualified local gunsmith.

As soon as they said they were charging, I would have told them to send it back to me.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I know this doesn't help but how can they just send you a rifle that isn't yours with out going through an ffl? Keep us posted cause I am very curious as to how this turns out.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The manufacturer can replace a defective firearm. They take care of the paper work with the BATF.The serial numbered parts of the original gun are destroyed.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
archerymaniac72 said:
I know this doesn't help but how can they just send you a rifle that isn't yours with out going through an ffl? Keep us posted cause I am very curious as to how this turns out.
Browning, as a manufacturer, can do that:

US Code 18 U.S.C. § 922 : US Code - Section 922: Unlawful acts

(a) It shall be unlawful -
(2) for any importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector licensed under the provisions of this chapter to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, except that -
(A) this paragraph and subsection (b)(3) shall not be held to preclude a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed
dealer, or licensed collector from returning a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received; and this paragraph shall not be held to preclude an individual from mailing a firearm owned in compliance with Federal, State, and local law to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After an hour on the phone. Browning decided that they should have contacted me before anything was done. They sent me a new shipping code to send the x-bolt back and they also told me that they will replace my gun with any firearm that they make that I want. I was surprised that they didn't even try to put up a fight but like anything else we'll see what comes in the box this time.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Hope it works out well for ya ... looks like they're trying to make things right !

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
sorry to herar your bad experience from browning. i recently bought an abolt slug hunter from them. after hearing this browning can kiss my butt. buy weatherby. guaranteed for life

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'll be watching to see what gun you decide on and how that works out for you, best of luck, better check Weatherby warr. if memory serves me there ain,t none implied, they can do what they want case by case

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I requested an A-Botl Medallion in 300 wsm. That's the closest thing to my original a bolt that they list online. I strongly dislike the new x-bolts. As far as other rifles I'm not a wearherby guy. I have sako's and Remington 700's and a few model 70's latly I've been building custom guns on rem 700 actions it's almost easier than shopping for a new rifle. The thing that turns my stomach the most about this is the fact that that was the only rifle my dad ever got for me and no matter what they do that gun is just not replaceable....

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Are you friggin crazy?

I would have asked for a Citori Heritage and then sold it and bought the rifle you wanted and pocketed the $5K.

After all they took a sentimental item and junked it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts