The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the back story to this. I have an old buckmark that the firing pin failed. Not ususally a big deal, except they changed the design and discontinued the old parts. So I was forced to order a complete new slide assembly and guts.

Now to the problem. The new slide is supposed to fit in with no smithing, told that by Browning. I reassembled everything, but now rather than getting light firing pin strikes it won't even fire 1 out of 10 rounds. I've checked out the bolt face with the hammer released and it looks to push the firing pin out plenty far to strike the cartridge. When attempting to fire though the pin will barely make a mark on the cartridge. To add insult to injury, Browning will only say they'll look at it for $80/hr plus parts, even though I've already paid them for the parts.

Anyone have any experience with the buckmarks that can help out, or suggest any smiths in NW PA that are decent.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
You have issues with Mihalik's on Crane outside of Cranesville? My brother goes there and likes the guy...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't know he was a smith. Only one I heard about around here was Gorenflo.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
I think he is. I could be wrong. My brother led me to believe he was though.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, no luck with the local guys. They aren't open at times that I can get there. Anyone have any suggestions before I junk this thing. Can't find anything on the internet about switching to the new slide, other than they did it. Whoppty-do.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Did you do a search for the firing pin on the internet? There is a company called gun parts corp (i think that is the name) they have a lot of hard to find parts maybe you could find an old style firing pin.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Did you try changing ammo. I'm thinking the recess in the bolt face is way deeper than the thickness of the rim of your ammo.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ended up changing the hammer spring as well as polishing the face of the hammer. While changing the hammer spring something on the face of the hammer looked "weird". After lightly polishing it noticed that the firing pin had made a slight indentation in the hammer. That got the new slide to at least fire something... The CCI Standard Velocity's it always liked. Still won't fire anything else with any regularity.

I ended up picking up a used Ruger MKII, kept the Buckmark in case CCI's ever become readily available again.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I find the oldest, wierdest, and rare parts on the auction site we all hate. I put it in for a search and it notifies me when one shows up. Numrich Gun Parts in NY. is sold out.It does show the part and It would be easy to have one made. Send the new parts back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts