The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with a Browning A bolt with the Boss? My dad has one of these that he'd like to set up for long range shooting. Back when he got it, the story was that the Boss would let you "tune" the barrel vibrations and give great accuracy. Is this hype or does it really work?

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
It worked on my 300 win mag. and my .270 win.
Tune the boss to the weight/type of the bullet. I think you can look up all info on Brownings website or it should be with the owners manual that came with the rifle

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I've had a couple rifles with BOSS. It isn't hype and it does work. But you have to be willing to find your sweet spot settings. Looking up a round in the book or online and dialing it in is only a rough starting point. If that's all you do, it's not really worth it. Use that setting as a starting point, go to the range, and setup a target with lots of small spot stickers with a good sighting rest. Set to the starting point, shoot 2. Let the gun cool, and make 1/4 turn in one direction, and shoot 2 more. Repeat 1/4 turn and shoot. If group opens up, you're going the wrong way. go back to the starting point, and do 1/4 turn-shoot back the other way. keep going until groups get smaller then open up again. Then pin it down to the sweet spot. You need a really good rest so that it's only the BOSS setting that's the difference between each spot. It takes some ammo to dial it in, but once you do, you can save the setting forever and will always be good with that same load.

·
Registered
889 Posts
It definitely does work if you take the time to work with it. I have shot a few that did very well. Only problem I have with them is they look like ****. Tom.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate all the feedback. Sounds like we'll be headed to the bench and then to the range.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
A few years ago the BOSS was all the rage, some shops
even had the brakes for sale seperately if you wanted to
have one installed on another rifle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts