The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a Browning a-bolt hunter ll fld in 300 WSM. They say that it only weighs 6lb9oz. I was wondering if any of u guys have experience with the recoil of this gun, and could recommend some 165 gr loads to start with, and what type scope, and rings would be best. I was concidering a Leupold vari 2 with low or medium rings and the Long range reticle. Thanks in advance, Jim Reilly

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
You'll just have to shoot some loads and find out for yourself. If you're handloading I found IMR4831 with 165gr SST's were accurate and were pretty tolerable to shoot. For factory I can't help at all. I had the Hunter model....not the FLD so stock shape/fit will likely change how she recoils or how you feel it.

·
Registered
21,564 Posts
65 gr of H4350 and either a 180 gr Hornady sst or a Nosler accubond have worked well in both of my 300 wsm's.I also had good success with 66 gr of H4350 and a 165 gr Hornady interbond.

Recoil is moderate at best.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
VELOCITY EQUALS RECOIL..the only way to tame it down is to decrease the charge..heck you could shoot 60.00 grains of H-4350 and use 150 grian bullets..it would kill anything you wanted and cut down on the recoil...when we buy those cartridge that say magnum..what else can we expect...more noise, more velocity and range and more recoil..wonder if it's truely needed for these whitetails and occasional bear..

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
For the most part we don't NEED anything 'magnum' in PA....even for long range stuff. Fun to have though.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
But if you are going to tame down your 300WSM, why didnt you buy a 30-06? Push that baby to what it was designed to do.

Using reloder 17 and 180 grain Accubonds in my WSM. My rifle did not like the 168's at all, but the heavier pills did the trick.

Those A-bolts need a recoil pad. My father in law has one and it doesnt have a pad at all. Looks painfull.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I had one of those in a left handed configuration. It was a great rifle. It shot very well, but there was some recoil. However it was manageable.

I loaded a 165 grain Nosler BT, and a 165 grain Sierra Game King bullet. Both shot well with H-414. That is a good powder. I shoot it now in a long range 300 WSM that I put together.

As far as a scope is concerned. Honestly I have never heard of a VXII Long Range reticle. So I have no idea what you are talking about there. However for mounts and rings I would recommend the Warne Picatinney or Weaver style one piece base. This base strengthens the action up a good bit. Then I would recommend either the Warne or the Burris lined rings. I like the Warne better, but I lap my rings. If you do not lap your rings then I would suggest you buy the Burris rings with the plastic inserts. IMO the lower the better. Tom.

·
Registered
21,564 Posts
I never said there was no recoil.I said it was moderate at best.I once shot 40 rounds of .308 win and 40 rounds of 300 wsm during an afternoon at the Ridgway rifle and pistol club.It was a hot summer day and all I had on was a tank top.I didn't feel too battered at the end of the day but my buddy's father shot my 300 wsm once and thought it was obnoxious.Felt recoil is nothing more than a matter of perspective.I don't find the recoil of a 300 wsm bad at all.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
matt75bronco said:
But if you are going to tame down your 300WSM, why didnt you buy a 30-06? Push that baby to what it was designed to do.

Using reloder 17 and 180 grain Accubonds in my WSM. My rifle did not like the 168's at all, but the heavier pills did the trick.

Those A-bolts need a recoil pad. My father in law has one and it doesnt have a pad at all. Looks painfull.
I think the thing thats nice about a 300 Mag is that a guy can load it "game specific". In PA it can be a 30-06,but I can take it out west and it can be a full power 300 Mag. For me versatility is king.

·
Registered
545 Posts
i have a xbolt stainless stalker in 300 wsm all i shoot is 180 grain bullets mine kicks no more then a 270 my 13 year old nephew shoots it all the time with no complaining mine also could not shoot the 150s or 165 would not group good shoots the 180s great

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
matt75bronco said:

I never tamed mine down at all. I'm not recoil shy, but that doesn't mean I can't feel it! Full house 180gr loads were a heck of a thumper, but I that's what I wanted so that's what I stuck with.....max+ load. I've since gotten rid mine, but I didn't really drop in the recoil department....went to full house loads in a 444.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, for all the info. I will try your ideas and recipe out, as soon as I get some loading dies and other supplies, as well as a scope and rings/bases.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Scope eye isn't any fun. I didn't really pay attention to the scopes mentioned, but I'll say this anyhow....make sure you have at a minimum 3.5" of eye relief on whatever scope you choose. I'd aim for 4" to be honest.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Recoil goes up with velocity and bullet weight; so stick with 150grs and light loads to start.

Recoil goes down with rifle weight; so as you get it set up get steel rings and bases, also a heavier scope. This all adds to the weight but reduces recoil.

As a last item get a better recoil pad, it will make a world of difference. Most factory recoil pads are hard, and often non-ventilated.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I have the .300wsm in Abolt Hunter and I think it kicks pretty good. I bear and elk hunt with an Abolt .338wm w/BOSS and I guess Im spoiled. I was kinda shocked by the recoil of the short mag.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I shoot a 7mm wsm yes it kicks but if you buy a mag its going to kick. Heavy bullets and high velocity = recoil. Put a good recoil pad on it and it will help. My gun about 8 pounds with scope sling and shells. You relly dont notice recoil when you shooting at a animal. If you have a mag use it to the max just my opinion use the most gun you can put the shot were you want it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts