The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won one of these last night at a raffle and dont realy know much about this gun or cal. I can take the gun or get 610 dollars store credit. what would you guys do?

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
I have an older Browning A-bolt hunter in .257 Roberts. It is all the deer rifle I would ever need. What would you like to know about the caliber?

·
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what bullet i should shoot and what grains are available in factory ammo? thanks

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
The gun is relatively rare for that particular caliber. I have been casually looking for one to pop up on gunbroker and it never seems to happen, especially a newer one like you won. It's a great whitetail gun! Congrats!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Not alot of choice in the factory ammo... 117gr Rem. core-lokt or 2 choices from Hornady both 117gr- custom rifle ammo or superformance(the old lt mag?) lines. I think Federal used to offer a 120gr bullet. I used the Rem. for years with no problems untill 3yrs ago when noboby had any in my area. I then bought the last 2 bx that Cabelas had in the Hornaday lt mag. 2 yrs ago I had to order from the catalog because Cabelas still didn't have any on the shelf, they did have some last fall. I like it alot for deer just wish it was a little more popular as reloading is not an option for me.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I have 2 A-Bolts that both shoot lights out. A .308 and a .300 Win mag. I have a 257 roberts on a Mauser action that I also very much like for Pa Whitetails. I shoot 90 Gr Nosler reloads. I think the 2 together would make a great rifle

·
Registered
968 Posts
federal premium 120gr partitions. It is a great caliber. I own 3 just fell in love withit for some reason. Both my kids took their first deer with this caliber, luckily with 2 different guns so they won't have to fight over them lol

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Is this a brand new rifle? I had heard that Browning
made a limited run of 257R a few years ago, but have
never saw one. I saw one in 358 Win last year in Clarion
I believe it is called the Whitetail Classic, or something
like that.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
The Browning A-bolt is known for its accuracy. My friend has a .257 Roberts (don't know what make or model) and he really likes the caliber. A Browning A-bolt in .257 Roberts sounds like a really nice combination. If I were you and had a use for the rifle, I'd certainly keep it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I bought one a couple years ago. Savage model 110.I love it. Plenty of punch for whitetails and easy on the shoulder. Keep the gun. It will turn into your favorite.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I have a 7600 in .257 Roberts. It shoots fairly well with the Winchester+P 117 Grainers. I bought a Lee Die set and a Lb. of IMR 4350. I have some 100gr. Sierra Pro Hunters backordered from Cabelas. Hope to get a load worked out by Fall. Very nice easy on the Shoulder Caliber. Fits an older shooter{Me} perfect!! I`d keep it....

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Keep it! I have a Browning A-Bolt Micro Medallion in 257 Roberts....it's my 'go-to' rifle for deer. It's accurate, light and easy handling/carrying. Grice's just did a run of some non-standard calibers last year on the micro hunter....257 Roberts, 284 Win, 358 Win and maybe some others(going from memory).

Factory loads aren't available everywhere, but there's still a fair selection....you'll likely have to order online though. Federal makes a 120gr Partition load, Rem. makes a 117gr Corelokt, Hornady makes a couple loads as well.

The 257 Roberts is a great deer/varmint round. I personally shoot handloads. However those handloads are just souped up 117gr RN bullets. I can cover 3 shoots with a nickel at 100 yards with them and they hit like a ton of bricks. If I could have afforded another one when I bought mine(late 90's) I would have more of them. They don't show up on GunBroker very often at all....I look all the time!

Here's what MidwayUSA offers:

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowsePr...ng=653***690***

·
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i picked up the gun monday. its a nice little gun. cant wait to shoot it i think im going to shoot the 117 gr rem core lokt out of it. ive had good luck with the core lokt in the past and it seems like all the gun shops are caying those. thanks for all the advice. now i need to choose a scope. .......decisions decisions.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I bought one this fall at Cooper's in Mansfield. It was one of the Grice special run guns. I paid around $640 or so. The difference is that it has a standard length of pull. I like it. I haven't shot it much yet, but it was very accurate the first time I shot it.

Great looking and handling gun.

Best of luck with yours.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
treestand91 said:
i picked up the gun monday. its a nice little gun. cant wait to shoot it i think im going to shoot the 117 gr rem core lokt out of it. ive had good luck with the core lokt in the past and it seems like all the gun shops are caying those. thanks for all the advice. now i need to choose a scope. .......decisions decisions.
I have a Weaver Classic V 3-9x38 on mine. Perfect fit....they make a nice 2-7x38 as well that I considered, it's a tad bit smaller, but not much. I've been impressed with the new Weaver optics. They're clear, bright, relatively inexpensive and have given me no issues at all. I've been putting them on everything in the last few years.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have a friend with an old 257 and he swears by it for deer hunting. If I'm not mistaken he has shot two bear with the rifle in Potter county some time ago.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I might get in trouble on this one. .257 Rob. nice little round most guys that like them grow to love them. Good enough for deer huntin and maybe a ghog here and there. It's like me and my .222 lots of better .224's now but just like the 222. Is their stronger? Ya 25.06 for one but their's just somethin about the charm of the Roberts. The A -bolt I think came in a 20" bbl. which don't help and not many made or if still bein made at all. Had a bud that had .257 in a 722 shot a few deer with it seemed like he had no trouble fillin his tag. The wood stock mod. alittle fancy for my taste like the composite stocks better good gun well built. IMO I'ed keep it easy shooter when not huntin, I'ed put a 3x9x40 VXIII on it have an all around quality peice. Good Luck...later

1 - 20 of 21 Posts