The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28,470 Posts
JF,

Do you have photos of the actual fish that was replicated? I am a brown trout junky and would love to see that.

I am gunning for a nice borwn to get replicated (26" or better), although I already got a taxidermy guy..I just need to catch the fish.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RoosterBooster
No I do not have a picture of the actual fish. The owner didn't want to be bothered with sending a picture to me, so he described it to me and I used reference pictures that I have that closely matched his description. I really like to have some good pictures of the actual fish so I can replicate the colors and spot patterns as close as possible.
By the way, Kenny C. does a great job, and he is a heck of a nice guy. He gave me one of his brook trout replicas to paint. One of these days I'll get to it.

·
Registered
28,470 Posts
My plan, and the whole reason I love replicas so much is the fact that the fish can be released (or eaten I guess). That you loose absolutely nothing by that action, after some good coloration/feature pics and few quick measurements are taken you loose absolutely nothing from fish to mount. Make me happy to hear that the same BIG brown I eventually get on my wall from a river run is on 3 guys walls because of his hunger and successful release....

I really hope the replica thing becomes the norm in fish mounts (if it hasn't already?), and with the kind of work you guys are putting out and the creation of the digital camera and the ability to snap 15 CHEAP easy to share pics, I see no reason why they won't. The better you guys make them look, the better it is for the resource.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
You said it RB! My taxidermist is now charging the same price for an artificial as a skin mount now. Artificial used to be a lot more money but with less fish, he is taking the conservation first approach and is practicing what he preaches. I love the thought as well of being able to release the fish and have it adorn the man caves of numerous other anglers in PA. I just hope the trend continues to catch on and grows, maybe we'll have good trout fishing in my area past May then

OH yeah, GREAT looking fish Justfish!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts