The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a Browning M 80 12 gauge, semi-auto shotgun. Is there a trick to get shells from the mag to the action? I tried to load the gun, but shells will not cycle from the tube mag to the action. Help!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Well, shoot. Generally, when the bolt slides to the rear there should be a mechanical release that simultaneously unblocks the path of the next shell in the tube thus permitting the shell to slide into the reciver and then be lifted into line with the chamber. Can you locate a piece of metal thatretains the shells in the magazine? If so, can you tell if it is broken / chipped or unable to move?

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm new to semi auto shotguns. Are they unlike pumps where if you put one shell up the mag, then cycle the pump to put that shell in the chamber, then load the tube mag. Do you have to shoot the gun to get a shell from the mag to the action?

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
You should be able to cycle the shotgun manually. The shell stop generally won't release the shell in the magazine until the bolt is cycled fully to the rear.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The shell stop seems to be sticking, not releasing the shell to fall into the action. I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow. and drop it off at my gunsmith on Monday if needed. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
When you're cycling the bolt manually, are you pulling it all the way back as far as it will go? It won't release the shell in the magazine until the bolt is fully rearward.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pappybear said:
When you're cycling the bolt manually, are you pulling it all the way back as far as it will go? It won't release the shell in the magazine until the bolt is fully rearward.
Yes, I cant get the bolt to go any further back. There is a button on the side of the action that releases the "clip" that holds the first shell in the tube mag. But it will not release the shell unless I take the pressure off it by sliding the shell up, away from the "clip". It almost seems like the spring in the tube is too strong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts