The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Definitely post your review on as many forums as you can - huntinfo.com, etc. so word can get out, hate reading stories like this. Hopefully your next hunt is awesome.

Reactions: ruger300

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Definitely post your review on as many forums as you can - huntinfo.com, etc. so word can get out, hate reading stories like this. Hopefully your next hunt is awesome.
Thanks, I'm not much of a computer guy. This is the only website I've been on. I'll go to "huntinginfo.com" and post a review. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Catch up with them at the Harrisburg show and discuss it in person with them, they are always there.
I plan on being there. But talking with them seems pointless. Our phone discussions have yielded nothing. The fact remains they knew the guy they got to guide me couldn't and wouldn't hunt. They knew this ahead of time and still took my money. Cut and dried. Then they hid the entire week. I'll be at the show, haven't missed it in over 20 years other than the times it was canceled. I'll have handouts of my hunt printed up to give out to people looking for a newfoundland moose hunt. An ethical outfitter would have had lots of options. Guide me himself, call me ahead of time and cancel my hunt. Talk to the two other guides and get them to do a 2 on 1 hunt. Both other hunters offered but the guides said no. Bottom line is Brophy took my money knowing I would get nothing in return. He didn't care.

·
Registered
26,166 Posts
it will yield something at the show, just wait til there are lots of folks around and talk loud enough for others to hear. you might leave with a check for the full amount :)

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
it will yield something at the show, just wait til there are lots of folks around and talk loud enough for others to hear. you might leave with a check for the full amount :)
when I was an exhibitor at the show, I saw show security called fo that kind of thing more than once. Just sayin. Be careful about how you might go about that.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Save your aggravation and take the money.

You may think your going to make a big splash at the show but reality is you'll be hustled out of there real quick and make little to no impact on how many people he books.

·
Registered
26,166 Posts
i doubt security will kick him out if he is being polite and respectful while telling the truth and asking for a full refund. if they do...find the local paper and see if they want the story.
why would the show organizer want any outfitter there that is not dealing honorably with clients.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thanks, I'm not much of a computer guy. This is the only website I've been on. I'll go to "huntinginfo.com" and post a review. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Easy to be an armchair quarterback as it's your money "we're" all playing with. I highly doubt you'll do better than a 50% refund, but if you want to push it maybe take the $3k and after it's safe in the bank account, tell him you've thought about it more and that amount doesn't really work for all of your expenses in traveling up there, license, etc. Ask him for a full refund, or you'll post your review on multiple forums which will result in him losing a lot of business. Some forums I can think of are as follows: www.huntingnet.com, www.hunttalk.com, www.rokslide.com, www.archerytalk.com, www.bowsite.com

Good Luck

·
Registered
13,394 Posts
Save your aggravation and take the money.

You may think your going to make a big splash at the show but reality is you'll be hustled out of there real quick and make little to no impact on how many people he books.
Easy to be an armchair quarterback as it's your money "we're" all playing with. I highly doubt you'll do better than a 50% refund, but if you want to push it maybe take the $3k and after it's safe in the bank account, tell him you've thought about it more and that amount doesn't really work for all of your expenses in traveling up there, license, etc. Ask him for a full refund, or you'll post your review on multiple forums which will result in him losing a lot of business. Some forums I can think of are as follows: www.huntingnet.com, www.hunttalk.com, www.rokslide.com, www.archerytalk.com, www.bowsite.com

Good Luck
As to posting reviews and / or confronting an outfitter at a show; Nothing wrong with either of those things as long as you keep it on point, and in the case of face-to-face, civil. Reviews, good and bad, can be useful tools for the hunter researching outfitters.

But I will tell you that there is not an outfitter out there, even the very best, who has not had the occasional disgruntled client, some with legitimate complaints and some not so legitimate. I have been on wonderful hunts where a client, for whatever reason, was just furious and dissatisfied with his hunt. I've also been on a very few hunts that were far from ideal, but there were a few hunters in camp that thought the outfitter and the hunt was the bees knees.

This particular outfitter has been in business for over 50 years and he's not going to live or die by a few bad reviews or a ten minute confrontation at a show. That's not to say that the OP shouldn't do what he feels appropriate or warranted, just realize that he's not going to cause any true discomfort or disadvantage to the outfitter.

·
Registered
26,166 Posts
i've been on 3 hunts at red bluff lodge in South Carolina and never killed a thing. everyone in camp was killing stuff every day. i never saw a thing to shoot and the stands and wind direction were perfect. i did miss a nice hog on a night time hunt. it was my first time using night vision and was so amazed at what i could see, i forgot to actually check and see where the crosshairs were...LOL

i would go back anytime.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
As to posting reviews and / or confronting an outfitter at a show; Nothing wrong with either of those things as long as you keep it on point, and in the case of face-to-face, civil. Reviews, good and bad, can be useful tools for the hunter researching outfitters.

But I will tell you that there is not an outfitter out there, even the very best, who has not had the occasional disgruntled client, some with legitimate complaints and some not so legitimate. I have been on wonderful hunts where a client, for whatever reason, was just furious and dissatisfied with his hunt. I've also been on a very few hunts that were far from ideal, but there were a few hunters in camp that thought the outfitter and the hunt was the bees knees.

This particular outfitter has been in business for over 50 years and he's not going to live or die by a few bad reviews or a ten minute confrontation at a show. That's not to say that the OP shouldn't do what he feels appropriate or warranted, just realize that he's not going to cause any true discomfort or disadvantage to the outfitter.
I would agree with this. Hunted with them twice and would go back. Talked to many people while waiting for the ferry and while on the ferry that were/have hunted with them and didn't hear a single complaint. But we all know it happens and it stinks to be the one it happened to. Good luck with your decision on what to do, I hope it is something that will work for you and doesn't sour you from going again.

·
Super Moderator
7,010 Posts
A couple years ago I saw a fella walking around the Sports Show in Harrisburg wearing a home made T shirt slamming an outfitter who was exhibiting. He walked up and down past the outfitter‘s booth, and was told by another exhibitor that security stopped it.

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Once he tells the crowd that he offered to give you 50% of your money back which you refused you will be the person that sounds unreasonable. Just sayin.
Truth be told, I ve been wondering exactly that. The OP joined this site just to make this thread and bash the outfitter. An outfitter which other members here have had good hunts. He was offered a second hunt or a 50% refund, both of which were refused.
As a veteran of over 30 guided hunts, I can’t tell you how any Ive been on where everyone was happy and had a good time....EXCEPT for that one person.
Refusing what was offered and then still coming on here to bash seems pretty childish to me. I suspect there is more to this story than s8mply what we.are being told. It would be great if one of you guys who has hunted with Brophy could ask about this next time you talk.and report back to us.
Like Loridr said, any outfitter can have a bad hunt occur. I have ZERO idea why anyone would refuse a 50% refund offer after this...There simply are no principles worth $3,000.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts