The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If you haven't done so already, call Nell and talk to him, not Leander and see what he has to say.
I have talked to Nell. He told me that both other hunters in camp called him and confirmed my experience. He said I was being unreasonably angry, that they run a great camp. I asked if he knew my guide couldn't function before I arrived. He would not answer. but did say I "might not have gotten the full experience". He offered me a free hunt which I refused saying he got me once, I wasn't chancing wasting another year now that I knew how they operated. He offered a 50% refund, to which I replied that would mean I agree I got 1/2 of a hunt. I got nothing. And why is it you were so conspicuously absent during my arrival. the entire week and when I left?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
At this point, if you got offered a 50% refund and didn’t take it, you are out of your mind unless you are planning legal action, which will be lengthy and expensive at best.
I would have agree at this point. Best to get what you can and call it a day. It sucks and I would be po'd too, but best to get something back than nothing. Sorry to hear about your bad experience!

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
I would have agree at this point. Best to get what you can and call it a day. It sucks and I would be po'd too, but best to get something back than nothing. Sorry to hear about your bad experience!
Completely agree. I would be ticked. But an offer of a 50% refund is the closest that you will come to an admission of guilt from any outfitter. Take it and never look back.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I disagree ....Get a lawyer to at least write a letter saying you want your refund. Make it a strong letter and carbon copy it to anybody you can think of like the guide assc., whatever the game wardens call themselves,the better business bureau, and whoever else you can think of. He doesnt want to pay for a lawyer either. Find out everything you can about that guy and settle for no less than 75%.

·
Super Moderator
7,010 Posts
Remember, were talking about an international case. It would cost a fortune to litigate. It might be worth a try to have an attorney send a letter, as Capt said, in hopes that the outfitter would roll, but the chances of that are slim to none.
Exactly. Remember, you’re from the states, and you’d be trying to take legal action against a Newfoundland business in a Newfoundland legal system. You’ve lost before you’ve even got started.

Take the 50%. I’m really surprised that was offered, and wouldn’t believe it until their check cleared my bank.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
You're probably correct, legal action isn't an option. I never thought it would be or considered it. But my principals wouldn't allow me to accept a 50% refund. That would be like saying "oh heck, you only cheated me out of half my money, and one years hunt. I feel better now. All the facts say Brophy knew before I ever got on the island that someone of the three of us in that camp wasn't going to get a hunt. In my opinion he might as well of met me at the ferry and put a gun to my head and took my money. It would have ended with the same result and saved me a lot of frustrating days setting on the dock listening to an electronic caller run 10 hours steady day after day. Best I can do is try to get the word out to as many people as I can so they don't get the same treatment.

·
Registered
26,166 Posts
he was also offered a free hunt, maybe re-check the references and go back, if not...the 50% is better than the hassle of fighting this in Newfoundland. i bet thats in the hunt contract, that any legal problems are to be handled in their court.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
did the other two hunters shoot moose? and if they did, on what days?
Yes they did. On Thursday and Friday. They both invited me to go with them and their guide starting on Tuesday. But both other guides said no, they did one hunter only and wouldn't allow it. There was some animosity between the two regular guides and the fill in guy. lots of tension in the camp nights. Not an enjoyable place to be.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Yes they did. On Thursday and Friday. They both invited me to go with them and their guide starting on Tuesday. But both other guides said no, they did one hunter only and wouldn't allow it. There was some animosity between the two regular guides and the fill in guy. lots of tension in the camp nights. Not an enjoyable place to be.
Huh, the more details you post the worse the whole thing sounds. Danal, I get your position about the 50% refund and your not wrong in that. But, take the 50% refund any way. In time you'll wish you had done. Then take that money and put it toward your next hunt with a different outfitter. And shoot a bull moose. Some body once said "Living well is the best revenge." That would apply here in spades don't you think?

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Couldnt agree more. digging in your heels now on the basis of principle is foolish. $3,000 is nothing to sneeze at, at least to me it isn’t. Refusing that amount is foolishness.
That outfitter will laugh his way to the bank at that. and he will win again. I don’t blame you one bit for being ticked. But yourstance now is foolish. do yourself a favor. Calm yourself down and take the money if you can get it.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts