The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went with Brophy and Sons September 2021. I never saw him, he was absent when I arrived and had his girlfriend take my $ and do the paperwork. My guide told me day 1 that he could not and would not walk. Had a bad knee.and had told the outfitter that when he called and hired him. Outfitter told him he was in a bind, had 3 hunters booked and only 2 guides. To "just go in and do whatever you can". Which turned out to be setting in the camp with electronic caller running all day steady. Outfitter could not be contacted. Was fly in so no way to leave. I paid $6000 to set on the dock and fume every day. Brophy was also conveniently missing when I flew out. Since returning home I've had one phone conversation with him in which he denied any wrongdoing. But offered me a free hunt, or 1/2 refund. I replied I'd had one of his hunts and he wasn't getting another shot at me. Also 1/2 refund meant I got a partial hunt, which was not true. He knew when I arrived on the island I wouldn't get a hunt, the guide told him flat out he couldn't do it. Brophy knew it that's why he was absent at my arrival, departure and couldn't be contacted during the entire week.
Both other hunter in camp called Brophy afterwards and verified my hunt and told him it was wrong.
Stay away from Brophy and Sons.
If you want more info don't hesitate to contact me. [email protected]

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
My friend and I hunted with them in 2017 and 2019. There are 2 brothers, and Leander should have been the one flying you in and out, he is the owner of the plane and the pilot. Sad to hear this from them and it is nothing like what we experienced. Thanks for the info for the future.
It sounds like Nell and his wife weren't there and the "girl friend", which I have met :rolleyes: , was Leander's.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Did you pay for the trip with a credit card such as Visa? If with Visa you have 120 days from the trip start to request a chargeback. The reason is simple….you did not get what you paid for. Visa will credit your account & take the money out of the guides account.

·
Super Moderator
6,992 Posts
I’m familiar with Newfoundland hunting, been there 12 times. They would have been better off doing a 2 x 1 hunt. Done it many times, both hunters tagged out. If he sold it as a one on one hunt, he could have discounted it as a 2x1.

Being up front and honest is the key…most problems that arise in camp can be resolved that way. Pushing through a substandard hunt is a bad policy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What camp/area were you at? Guides names?
I was at what they called the Northern Camp. About a 15 minute plane trip from Daniels Harbour. The two able and regular guides at the camp were Pleman and Shay. The last minute addition who was physically unable to guide was Jon. And It was a float plane taxi service that flew us in, not Brophys plane.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
We were at the southern camp both times. Real sorry to here about what happened with you and very disappointed in their response. We will definitely keep it in mine when we book again. As a side note, my buddy that I usually go with, had a chance to fill in with some others this year and went. His experience at that outfitter was the same as yours. His guide was terrible and he is the only one out 5 in the group that didn't get one, not happy at all!

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Been thinking about this. It was obviously on a lake and there was probably a boat available, or there easily could have been. You would think the handicapped guide could have at least took his client to various shore points to call. That would certainly have been better than sitting in camp.
Exactly! The camp we are at, it is a 100' walk to the boat/dock and a 10 minute ride across the "pond" to where the Argo sits on the bank. That hillside, about a 800 yard shot to the top, is one of the best crossings up there. Not much effort to set up there and call and we saw several moose crossing there.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Been thinking about this. It was obviously on a lake and there was probably a boat available, or there easily could have been. You would think the handicapped guide could have at least taken his client to various shore points to call. That would certainly have been better than sitting in camp.
Exactly! The camp we are at, it is a 100' walk to the boat/dock and a 10 minute ride across the "pond" to where the Argo sits on the bank. That hillside, about a 800 yard shot to the top, is one of the best crossings up there. Not much effort to set up there and call and we saw several moose crossing there.
Not suggesting anything as I've certainly no first hand knowledge but it does seem like this was not the norm for the outfitter your guys know and liked. Got to wonder if there was more to the story the OP hunter didn't know about. I doubt if good outfitters, like good contractors don't often just fumble one so badly without a real situation out of their control. The strangest part to me is the outfitter himself being AWOL.

Reactions: ruger300 and JJ4D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Been thinking about this. It was obviously on a lake and there was probably a boat available, or there easily could have been. You would think the handicapped guide could have at least taken his client to various shore points to call. That would certainly have been better than sitting in camp.
I'm of the opinion the "guide" had no intention of killing a moose since he was unable to take care of it. Even though early on i said I was capable of doing any and all deboning and packing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not suggesting anything as I've certainly no first hand knowledge but it does seem like this was not the norm for the outfitter your guys know and liked. Got to wonder if there was more to the story the OP hunter didn't know about. I doubt if good outfitters, like good contractors don't often just fumble one so badly without a real situation out of their control. The strangest part to me is the outfitter himself being AWOL.
Well if there is more to the story, I'd like to know it. All I know is I sat in camp a full week, no hunt, no contact with the outfitter and no explanation. other than the guide telling me he got asked the day we were to fly in to guide. According to him the outfitter said "I'm in a bind and need help" just go do whatever you can. All the facts tell me the outfitter knew I wouldn't get a hunt and he avoided any contact with me before,during and after the hunt.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts