The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was discharging my WR Invador last Saturday after hunting and saw something orange in the grass The plastic part that sticks out on the flat "knock" broke off. Is this common and can they be replaced? I thought I saw something about brass knocks on here somewhere. Might be a good idea if the plastic ones break off.

·
Registered
18,719 Posts
There are brass inserts available for the front of your arrows. Nocks are usually aluminum, plastic or polycarbonate. Breakage can happen and could cause a catastrophic failure of your bows when fired. It is best to inspect the nocks often for cracks or chips.

Many nocks are press fit and some are glued. Press fit being much easier to replace. Replacement nocks are readily available and Arrowhead could get the ones you need for your arrows.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Check the strings/cables completely. A few years ago I was breaking nocks and I realized that the string was almost cut. Replace worn strings every year or two and cables less frequently. A lot less expensive to replace the strings and cables than the crossbow limbs.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I agree you want to check all your nocks....you don t want to have a dry fire and have it blow apart.....you might even want to call Ten Point...

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I've been thinking about this post since I first read it. I've never had a nock failure that wasn't my fault somehow, so this had me searching for an explanation.

Here is what I'm thinking might have happened. You might not have had the arrow seated completely against the string. Iv'e seen many nocks fail under this condition.

If that is the reason for the nock failure, you likely have broken strands in your string under your servings. It would be well worth it to have them checked out as you won't be able to see it unless you remove the servings. This doesn't happen often, but when it does, it is often catastrophic if you keep shooting.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Arrowhead. It is possible that I had the arrow in far enough to set the trigger but not up tight against the string. Funny thing is it broke like it sheared off, just a little orange disc. I would have thought an impact would have split the knock laterally, not on the cross section.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
As a rule, flat nocks shear flat off at the juncture of the arrow and nock. Not always, but most of the time. Moon nocks generally shear one ear of the nock. (don't ask how I know this....LOL...we all make mistakes) The new Ten Point Omni-nocks should help to solve some of the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts