The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight after hunting I de-cocked my bow by firing a de-cocking arrow into the ground (one of the arrows with the rubber grommet on the shaft that keep it from actually going into the ground). It sounded a little funny when I shot it, a little louder than normal. When I put it in the truck I noticed that a few of the strands on the left side of the string had broken. I took a better look at home and found that 4 strands had broken. I trimmed off the loose ends. My question is, is this safe to hunt with until I can get to a shop and have a new string put on.

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
If the broken strands are string material, I would not shoot it. If the broken strands are serving material, you could probably get by in a pinch but the serving would need replaced soon.

·
Registered
525 Posts
STOP IMMEDIATELY!!

DO NOT shoot your crossbow until you get the string/cables replaced. No need to take a chance, and get hurt, or wreck your weapon.
If you cannot repair it yourself--get it to a shop of your choice, and get new strings on it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the same issue last year, just before the season.
PSE replaced it under warranty.

The man at the archery shop put it well when I asked him how often I should replace the string.
"You only have one set of eyes, how much do you like them?"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts