The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Broken Leupold

4K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Guest3 
#1 ·
Seen a gun fall over in the field tonight, shattered the objective lens. Didn't even scratch the finish! Anybody ever dealt with Leupold service?

#6 ·
I've never had to send one back, but friends have. Pretty good service, from what I can see?

Some years ago a buddy had a VX-II fog up in Idaho. Sent it back and they returned it repaired, refinished and w/upgraded power adjusting ring. He initially insisted they had just replaced it with a new scope.

I asked why they wouldn't have just noted that it was replaced, rather than going to the trouble of including a description of the work done? Finally pointed out how his ring marks were barely visible beneath the new gloss finish.

#11 ·
Is it just because they're so popular or what? I mean, I've had plenty of scopes. I've only had dirt cheap optics fail(Tasco and BSA). Everyone talks about how wonderful Leupold's customer service is and that's a good thing, but what are you guys doing to these scopes that so many fail?

#12 ·
I sent two back last year, both damage was due to hard falls. The first one was 30 years old. The hard fall was a slip on ice at camp, I hit the ground full force on top of the scope. Both were fix free of charge except for one way shipping. Thank up very much, all my fire arms with scope wear Leupold.

#13 ·
I got one off E-Bay. It looked like they had tried to adjust it with a chisel. Sent it back to Leupold and when it came back it looked like new. Now it's mounted on my Remington 700 30/06. Holds inch groups every time.

#14 ·
JasonN said:
Is it just because they're so popular or what? I mean, I've had plenty of scopes. I've only had dirt cheap optics fail(Tasco and BSA). Everyone talks about how wonderful Leupold's customer service is and that's a good thing, but what are you guys doing to these scopes that so many fail?
Well I have quite a few of them but only one that's ever given me problems. I believe they said it was made in 87 I don't know why it keeps breaking on me, but it is on 300 RUM so that might have something to do with it. As far as I remember it is the only scope of any maker I've had fail for me.

#15 ·
Those are all reasonable. I just wondered about it since it seems everyone knows that Leupold has great customer service and it seems like a lot of guys have had to send optics in for service. I kind of figure it's due to the simple fact that they are likely the #1 scope manufacturer/seller and the law of averages has to come into play at some point.

I've always been of the thought that the best customer service is that of which one doesn't have to use. That's obviously not something easily accomplished though, especially with a large company selling millions of units.

#16 ·
Adam K said:
JasonN said:
Well I have quite a few of them but only one that's ever given me problems. I believe they said it was made in 87 I don't know why it keeps breaking on me, but it is on 300 RUM so that might have something to do with it. As far as I remember it is the only scope of any maker I've had fail for me.

Ya think?

#19 ·
I was on a Elk hunt last fall in Colorado, on our way out from our hunt my horse slipped and fell, busted the stock on my rifle and bent the bell on the scope about 1/2 inch. Got home sent Leupold my 3 X 9 in and asked if they could fix it, they sent me a new one and was sorry there scope failed no charge. Thats why there the best..

#21 ·
I had dinner with the owners of Leupold at an event a couple of years back- just happened to sit down at our table.

They talked about the company and how important customer service is to them. Old Leupolds will always be repaired or replaced.

As to the "current" Leupolds....
The gold ring line has the lifetime gaurentee. The green rings are their budget line and they do not.

Oh, and it is not pronounced LEO (as in Leo the Lion) pold. (thats the other guy, Aldo Leopold)

Its LEUpold (as in Lew).

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.