The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2013 Hoyt charger and I'm looking into new brodheads. I've been shooting rage 3 blades. I want brodheads that will pass through easy and leave a good blood trail

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
slick tricks have been working great for me the last decade or so . great blood trails quality heads . They just came out with a mechanical head if you want to stick with them .

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Shot 7 with Ramcats this year, absolutely love them. I'll definitely be shooting them again next year. Blew through several shoulder blades. I posted a picture of one on here. Field point flight, incredible penetration, very solid, cheap replaceable blades.

·
Banned
462 Posts
I have heard more than a few issues with the rage 3bld, I have even helped a few friends track deer theyve shot with the rage 3bld and after that I would not feel comfortable using them myself. It seems like there is a design flaw that unless the arrow hits perfect and all blades deploy simultaneously you run the risk of one or even 2 blades hanging up or not opening at all meaning inconsistent blood trails.

Now with that said I have years of great experience with the rage 2bld, huge blood trails that end very quickly! Most deer dont travel out of sight and most of the wound channels are fist sized! Never had a blades open in flight, never had blades not open, never had a blade break off.....I have had blades bend, but I caught the shoulder/leg bone with one blade and it stayed in tact but was bent all up; end result was a dead deer with a great blood trail!

This past season I tried the ulmer edge because they are similar to the rage, but are solid steel and I like the design but didnt release one on a deer so cannot talk about terminal performance. Next season I will likely try the ulmer again, but know that a Rage 2bld is likely also going to be in my quiver!

·
Super Moderator
29,195 Posts
Last few deer I killed with the bow I was using NAP Hellrazors. I was pretty impressed with their performance.

·
Registered
744 Posts
If you want to stick with an expandable broadhead, look no further than the rage two blades. I have been using them the last six years and have put down twelve deer with them. The wound channels are amazing and the blood trails are unbelievable. I was telling this to two of my buddies this year who have shot muzzy forever, i gave them each a rage 2 blade and my one buddy ended up harvesting a doe with it. His exact words, "ill never use any other broadhead again"

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I shoot Ramcats. They are a local company. I can not say enough about these broadheads. They fly like field tips, the penetrate like nothing else and they tear stuff up. This will be the last broad head I shoot.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Where are the Ramcats made?

I've used rage 2 blade for the past three years with nothing but positive things to say about their effectiveness. With one exception. They are not very durable. I've had a couple bent tips, a couple broken blades, and more than one dull edge. That's the reason I am thinking about switching to QAD exodus. I've read and heard that they are super sharp, rock solid, and of course "fly like field points".

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
QAD Exodus and call it a day... I shot grim reapers for a few years, killed some deer. just never got that thought outta my head of "what if they don't open"... they opened everytime, but decided to try out fixed blades. Suckers fly like a bullet, leave good entry and exit holes... As far as blood trails, alot of that depends on shot angles and where you hit the deer. I've double lunged deer and hardly had a drop of blood.. I've also hit one where a blind man coulda tracked her. alot of variables go into "a good blood trail" beyond the broadhead.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The deer I shot with rage 3 blade didn't even exit there was hardly a blood trail the deer went over 200 yards before dying

·
Registered
949 Posts
Ramcats are nice but there only down fall is there slim blades. Ramcats and Qad's are prolly one of the best heads on the market. If it comes down to a choice, i'll chose the Qad's. They are better built. If the ramcats had the stronger blades i would go with them. Now if only Qad's could have the back cut blades....

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you want to go fixed blade, I would choose slicktricks or ramcats. If you want to shoot mechanicals, I would choose the ulmer edge or grim reapers.

·
Registered
745 Posts
bbd!5b said:
Ramcats are nice but there only down fall is there slim blades. Ramcats and Qad's are prolly one of the best heads on the market. If it comes down to a choice, i'll chose the Qad's. They are better built. If the ramcats had the stronger blades i would go with them. Now if only Qad's could have the back cut blades....
The ramcat blades are strong and I’m going to guess they’re one of the main reasons they fly so true. This is a well thought out designed broadhead. Check out my nephews hunt form this season. He went through shoulder blade with one and the blades were sharpened and ready to go again. Same thing with the buck I shot. Went through him, stuck into the ground and the blades looked untouched. Anything can happen in the woods, but I have been on to many expandable track jobs that have come up empty the last couple years. If you have gone with an expandable over the years because of the great flight be aware that there are fixed blades that fly true and cut big and I can attest that ramcats is one of them. And be sure if you go with exodus that you get the unbarbed ones. I’m pretty sure barbed are illegal in PA.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would have to agree with bbd. I shot Ramcats 2 years ago. Can't complain about them being able to kill deer. Problem I had was snagging and bending the blades taking them in and out of my quiver. Switched to QAD's problem solved

·
Registered
744 Posts
Derek10 said:
The deer I shot with rage 3 blade didn't even exit there was hardly a blood trail the deer went over 200 yards before dying
I tracked and found a doe my brother-in-law had double-lunged (passthru) with a three blade rage and it went well over 200 yds. The blood trail was sparse. I still don't know exactly what happened.

I use slick tricks magnums and have had great success.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts