The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a broadhead that works better with a recurve? My bow is set up to shoot 125 grains. I was thinking of going with a full cutting edge head, like a Zwicky.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
In my experience a 2 blade flies much truer.Only broadhead i use now are Bear Razorheads in 145 gr.,they are an older head but have stood the test of time and work very well.There's lots of different heads out there,you just have to decide what works best with your set up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Have to agree with Rich about the Bear razorheads, little hard to come by but sharpened them up with a file and finished with a leather strop, man they get scary sharp and had a heck of a bloodtrail this fall, just wish they were still being made.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I shot my first animal, a groundhog, with an old bear fiberglass arrow tipped with a razorhead that I got from my grandfather. When I got interested in trad I bought a 50# recurve off ebay. I got some arrows that flew well but those bear arrows were terrible. Of course I knew nothing about spine. My arrows curved counter clock-wise in the air and it was a miracle that I even hit the g-hog. It actually completely turned around and the arrow went right through the boiler room.

·
Registered
114 Posts
good ole boy said:
I too use em and love em and don,t knowwhy they gave em up.Do any of you use em w/out the inserts?Fortunatley I still have some.
I have used them for years. I could not use the inserts because they would not fly well at all.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Rumor has it that they are going to be re-introduced. If so, I hope they can get the hardness up a wee bit. They take an edge so well because the steel is fairly soft.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
I betcha I got somethin none of you all have.I got a Bear Razorhead sharpening stone that I use to this day.I keep it in the original package.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
For 2 blade heads ..Zwickey's Are very good heads as well as magnus. or Ace broadheads. A KME broadhead sharpening kit makes getting 2 blade heads hair shaving sharp easy.

As far as the "best" broadhead for a recurve?...truthfully it's a matter of preference...Iv'e used them all and they all work. Everyone seems to have their own set of pro's and con's...But truth is...shaving sharp broadheads and shot placement are far more important than broadhead type.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I've had good success with both 3 blade Woodsmans and 2/4 blade Stingers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts