The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my son a Killer Instinct Boss 405...shooting 100 grain points, what Broadheads would you guys suggest? I’m open to mechanical and fixed blade, looking what you all are having luck with

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The old reliable thunderheads are great safe standby choice. I used slick tricks for a few years and while I liked them, I found them to not be as durable. I shy away from mechanicals, I never really trusted them and lost a deer or two, so I am a fixed head guy. I just think a head with movable parts allows more opportunity for things to go south.

I use 100 gr G5 Montecs now and I group much better and they are a tuff blade.
Shoot whatever grain weight flies best with your crossbow.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I've been shooting Rage 2 blade CrossbowX heads. They fly straight, and do the job, but not durable. They're a one and done head.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I've been shooting Rage 2 blade CrossbowX heads. They fly straight, and do the job, but not durable. They're a one and done head.
Good point. I have never been able to reuse any mechanical head after taking a deer. It just destroys them based upon the nature of their design. I have used Grim reapers, spitfires, Steelheads, and a few others.
They can be great for getting the job done, but as was stated above. They are good once only.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Anything will kill a deer. I have used blades that I got out out of a clearance bin for $6 for a pack of three and harvested 2 eight pointers and a 10 pointer and saw all three drop within 30 yards. I have used spitfires and thunder heads with a stick bow & crossbow with success.

Last season I bought Ravin xbow and used Rage broad heads on an 8 pointer at 26 yards on a 8 pointer that was broadside and the arrow went right thru the deer. The deer trotted off and then stood there looking back before it walked off and I never found the deer.

so you see although i spent over $40. On the rage broad heads I am sure they will kill a deer 🦌 but cheaper one will also. Best advise find ones that fly true.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
You likely missed bone, a hard accomplishment once, let alone 3 times....lol
They are a great head though indeed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts