The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I went out shooting my crossbow today and encountered a huge problem. My broadheads are shooting nowhere near my field tips. I have 125 grain Cabela's brand field points and 125 grain G5 Striker Magnums. I shot about 15 field points to start to make sure everything was dead on. Every broadhead shot was about 6 inches low and 2 inches left. Do I just need more tuning with the broadheads or is there a real problem here?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Shoot with the broadhead and get them zeroed in then try the field point. I alway just shoot broadhead,just don't shoot at the same spot with the broadheads.

·
Registered
775 Posts
There is a couple things you can do. Sight your field points in 6 inches high and two inches the right. Then you will be right on. Are you sure that your field points aren't 100 grains? the striker magnum is a inch and a half high profile broadhead. It's not exactly a head that I would suggest out of a xbow. The Parker Red Hott xpro is a smaller version of the G5 striker and has true field point flight. Also the American Broadhead Sonics fly amazing

·
Registered
698 Posts
If it is shooting right or left 2" at 20 yards, at 30, it will still be heading that way. Is your arrow weight forward? What is your f.o.c.?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My set-up is a Tenpoint Titan HLX with a Hawke MAP scope. Cabela's 20" Stalker X Bolts and G5 Striker Magnums. I shot the broadheads until they were somewhat zeroed in then went back to the field tips and they were about 5 inches higher than the broadheads at the same yardage, and yes, my field points are 125 grain i'm sure the boxeven says so. I'd much rather have a broadhead shoot perfect which I'm killing the deer with.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Does the Cabelas Stalker X bolt have a brass insert? The G5 Striker Magnum is a bit too much for most crossbows. The 100 grain Striker or the Parker Crosspro 100 FX is the best choice. (basically the same broadhead) Both are a low profile type head.

Your broadhead should match the field point as far as point of impact. If they match, you are getting optimum flight from both. My goal when I'm building arrows, is to have them hit the same spot.

The Titan HLX would respond very well with a Victory X-bolt, 110 grain brass insert, 2.1" Fusion vanes and Gold Tip flat nocks. With this arrow you will need 100 grain heads. You could substitute gold Tip Laser II's for the Victory shafts. Both shoot very well in the Ten Point bows.

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
I am thinking the issue is not with the bow but with you r broadhead/arrow combination. I would downsize your broadhead to 100 grains either with the G5 Striker of Slick Trick and opt for a brass insert up front.

It would cost money to start over but having field tips and broadheads hitting close is much better off for practice reasons. You can shoot all summer with your field tips then switch over to broagheads as the season gets closer.

You could always just sight it in with the broadheads but then you know that there is something not quite right with their flight and you are cornered into shooting them exclusively.

I would start over. Give arrowhead a call and he will ship you arrows that will fly well at a modest cost.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going to start out with exchanging my Striker Mags for 100 grain Strikers or Slick Tricks?...any suggestions? I'm going to keep shooting with the same bolts as I don't believe they are giving me any problem. I took about 30 shots out to 50 yards with my field points and they were VERY consistent. So I don't think my bolts are giving me any problems at all...

·
Registered
698 Posts
I think you'll find out it is the bolt.I have an Excalibur Equinox. When I bought the bow the guy I got it from gave me 6 carbon express bolts,the shot great with field points. When I tried my thunderhead 125 broadheads they shot low right. I bought G.T. laser II's with 110 gr. brass insert. I shot my thunderheads again and they are right on with my field tips. I have several friends with the same bolt (from arrowhead) with good results. Good luck I hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What about the Victory X-bolts? I hear a lot of good things about them. Do they also have a brass insert?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Contact Arrowhead, he will know the best bolt for your bow!I'll be trying his Victory bolt as soon as he tests they for the Excalibur!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So 125 grain heads are no good for crossbows? That is fine with me. I'm hoping Cabela's will accept my returns of the bolts and Striker Mags and I will most likely buy the Slick Trick standard 100 grain broadheads and then maybe contact arrowhead about the Victory X-bolts...

·
Registered
698 Posts
I use 125's and they fly great for me! I'm useing them because I had some to try(125 thunderhead).The f.o.c.(frount of center) is the main thing to get good broadhead flight.Talk to Arrowhead about that!!

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
The grain of heads all depends on the crossbow. Excalibur did all the work for me back when I bought my Exocet 200.

Back then it was GT2 arrows and WASP Boss 100 grain broadheads without brass inserts and they fly right with the field points(also WASP brand).

Being GT changed their shafts(thinner), I will probably have to change my brand of arrows also. I am sticking to my WASP Boss 100 broadheads. Probably Victory arrows, but I will talk to Arrowhead before making a decision.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
We tested the Victory arrow in nearly eveery crossbow out there. They do fly very well in the Parker, Ten Point and Excalibur. All the testing on those three bows is complete. I think we have found the best arrow.

The Gold Tip Laser II is a tough arrow to improve on, but I think we have. The reason I like the 100 grain heads is because we build our arrows around a 100 grain head, no other reason. If the 125's fly good I wouldn't change them.

The problem likely isn't with your arrows, but rather the arrows forward of center. Think of your arrow as a dart. You know why darts fly so well? It's the weight in the front of the dart. If there would be more weight in the rear of the dart you couldn't hit anything with it.

I've got a feeling that the Stalker X-Bolt doesn't have the brass insert. If it doesn't, you will need at least a 150 grain head to stabilize it and get the forward of center correct. Slick Trick makes a new 175 grain crossbow head that might work too. The thing is ...you might have more money invested in testing all that...than you would if you just ordered what works. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So arrowhead, what do you think if I go with the Slick Trick standard 100 grain and the 20" Victory Xbolt? Have you ever tested this set-up?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts