The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
why would one aim for such a small target of the head instead of the larger body shot???..........bob

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Because their vitals are extremely small, and a head shot is the way to go. Plus they are one tough bird. I found this out last year, hitting a big gobbler at 20 yds with what I thought was a good hit. Bird took off with my arrow in him never to be seen again.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Title 58 Sec 145.45 (iii) A bow and arrow. A bow must have a peak draw weight of at least 35 pounds. An arrow must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

As long as those types/brands of broadheads do not exceed 3 inches in Length (of the actually broadhead not the blade) and the the diameter exceeds 7/8" which they do...they are legal

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Double check the "book". It will give specs on what is legal....the more important spec is the <span style="color: #990000">angle</span> of the back-side of the blade. I do not know of a broad head under 7/8".......but there are broad heads that the back side exceed 45* and are not collapsible.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Remember, if yoou use them. it takes a good shot, and you will need to sight-in your bow for them. They are only good for one shot, at a bird or a target. So to properly sight in your bow figure at least 4 of them and the $$$ down the tube.

·
Registered
819 Posts
bob1961 said:
why would one aim for such a small target of the head instead of the larger body shot???..........bob

givin the chance to lob somethings head off and watch it go flipping into the air.. Im all for it! How awesome would that be! Besides, shotgun you aim at the head as well. This is just so much more fun! lol

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
the 2 turkeys i shot with my bow were down within 10 yards using old time bear razor heads....

i think that 3" is the blade edge that cuts, not tip to shaft length....not sure but, that's how i read that part...........bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts