The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My goal this season is to try to take a gobbler with my bow. I suspect I may just be taking my bow for long sits and walks in the woods, but wanted to see what guys who have taken a turkey with a bow use for broadheads. Fixed blade or expandables? Let me know what has worked well for you.

·
Registered
18,708 Posts
American Broadhead Company Turkey Tearrors have worked great for me. Three gobblers with them so far and none went more than 20 yards.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I have shot 5 birds with a bow, all in the fall, and all with regular deer hunting broadheads. The last two have been with slick trick standards.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Shoot those blasters. I think thats the one with a regular bh and two long expandables. Friend had flight issues with them.

·
Registered
949 Posts
BOOTOXEN said:
Shoot those blasters. I think thats the one with a regular bh and two long expandables. Friend had flight issues with them.
I plan on shooting them prolly tomorrow after i get my bow setup. Hope they dont give me any trouble.

·
Registered
13,449 Posts
shot some with thunderheads, one with a slick trick mag, a couple with bear razorheads. all seemed to work well.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the responses! I was planning on using my Slick Tricks, but the Turkey Tearrors look interesting, especially their claim for "no pass throughs." Has anyone had issues with pass through shots and losing arrows? I think a Lumenock would help for arrow recovery in the event of a pass through or a flat out missed shot.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I've lost a few arrows, likely due to the lack of a lighted nock. I've blown thrugh every turkey I ever shot. Hit one with a muzzy... I shot and it took off soaring. Luckily found it about 300 yards later. If you hit them right, shouldn't matter if there is a pass through or not. Although, I've been part of two track jobs on birds hit well that shouldn't have gone far. Both of which took up a few hours, one was not found.

All that said, after seeing a bird go to waste and spending the better part of 3 hrs tracking down the other, I go with the Magnus Bullheads because I know if I hit them, they're done. It's either clean miss OR clean kill. Not to mention not one scrap of meat goes to waste.

·
Registered
18,708 Posts
JMWagner said:
Thanks for all of the responses! I was planning on using my Slick Tricks, but the Turkey Tearrors look interesting, especially their claim for "no pass throughs." Has anyone had issues with pass through shots and losing arrows? I think a Lumenock would help for arrow recovery in the event of a pass through or a flat out missed shot.
I have shot three gobblers with the turkey tearrors and two passed through with one staying in the bird.

·
Registered
20,873 Posts
I've killed a couple in the fall with slick tricks and they never moved.Any BH that will kill a 200lb whitetail will easy kill a 15lb turkey.Broadhead selection doesn't mean squat and you don't need the arrow to stay in the bird.Turkeys have a very small vital zone.If you hit it,the bird will die very quickly.If you miss it,the BH won't make a difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts