The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was shooting the Muzzy 3 blade broadheads out of our TenPoint Stealth with the aluminum arrows provided in the package. They shoot about 5 inches low compared to the field points. I don't have much experience with crossbows, but with my conpound bow, I would have no problem tuning the broadeads to fly right with my field points. What do I do for the crossbow? I sighted the scope in to shoot the broadheads correctly, but I feel this is the wrong thing to do. I would never used this solution for the same problem with my compound.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
With a crossbow you often have to tune the arrow/broadhead rather than the rest or nocking point. One of the reasons I like the G5 Striker so much is that it works well with a wide variety of crossbows and arrow combinations. You should be just fine as long as you are hitting good with the Muzzy heads.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok sounds good. For now we are just going to dial it in for the broadheads as they do fly consistent out to 50 yards. But we will have to experiment with different broadheads to see if they will fly better. Might try the Slick Tricks and the MX-4's, but the MX-4's were tricky for me to tune out of my compound so I can't imagine the crossbow will like them, but it's worth a shot. The scope on the crossbow is set for 325 fps, so that extra speed might mess with the broadheads more than what I am used to with my compound which shoots about 300 fps. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Double Lung 20 said:
Was shooting the Muzzy 3 blade broadheads out of our TenPoint Stealth with the aluminum arrows provided in the package. They shoot about 5 inches low compared to the field points.
5 inches low at what range?

Personally, I prefer close to the same point of impact for practice reasons. With crossbows, not much can be done in the way of "tuning" the bow. Sometimes the cams can become out of sync but that is usually a left right issue.

You are left with the arrow/point to play with. I never did use the aluminums that came with my Stealth. Went right to a carbon, brass insert for a high front of center. 18% is about right for crossbows, IMO.

Broadheads that have flown universally well for me with high FOC arrows are G5 Strikers, Slick Tricks, Razor Tricks and Sonics. Arrows that work for me are Gold Tip Laser II, Victory and Easton Full Metal Jackets.

Just some groundwork for you to begin playing to get same point of impact.

The other option is if you are greating great groups out to 40-50 yards with your set-up with broadheads is to sight it in with them and go hunting. Maybe buy some heavier weighted field points to bring the POI of the field points close to that of the broadheads.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it was 4 or 5 inches at 40 or 50 yards. Only 2 or 3 inches at 20 yards. It's just frustrating because I can tune my compound with the same broadheads to hit with field points at 50 yards really easily. We did buy carbon arrows, but were debating whether or not to take them back. I think we will shoot broadheads with them just to see if there is a smaller difference between field points and broadheads.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Shooting the Spitfires out of my Stealth with the arrows that came with the package. Broadheads fly as true as the field points.

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Double Lung 20 said:
It's just frustrating because I can tune my compound with the same broadheads to hit with field points at 50 yards really easily.
It's a different animal. Tuning is accomplished with the arrow/head versus the bow.

If the broadheads are grouping great, try a heavier field point.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Took Arrowhead's advice this afternoon and shot the Victory/G5 Stryker combination.... dead center at 20 yards. I have some Muzzy 4-blades leftover from my compound setup, but after seeing what the G5 did I'm not even gonna try them at this point.

·
Registered
36 Posts
8points said:
Took Arrowhead's advice this afternoon and shot the Victory/G5 Stryker combination.... dead center at 20 yards. I have some Muzzy 4-blades leftover from my compound setup, but after seeing what the G5 did I'm not even gonna try them at this point.
I also use victory x bolts, 2.1 fusion vanes and striker g5 broadheads. They are consistent but don't have the same POI as my field tips or even each other. I marked my arrows so I know which one my scope is sighted in for and how many "yards low" the other broadheads will hit on my multi reticle scope. I have a parker buckbuster 175 btw. Anyone have any ideas why this is the case? I've tuned the broadheads to line up with the fletching but I'm not sure what else I can tune.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
i built my XX75 alum 2117 arrows with 125gr slick trick mags to fly same as my target tips, wasn't hard at all
.......bob

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
bob1961 said:
i built my XX75 alum 2117 arrows with 125gr slick trick mags to fly same as my target tips, wasn't hard at all
.......bob

Where do you get the nocks? Do you use brass or aluminum inserts?

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
justins1983 said:
8points said:
I also use victory x bolts, 2.1 fusion vanes and striker g5 broadheads. They are consistent but don't have the same POI as my field tips or even each other. I marked my arrows so I know which one my scope is sighted in for and how many "yards low" the other broadheads will hit on my multi reticle scope. I have a parker buckbuster 175 btw. Anyone have any ideas why this is the case? I've tuned the broadheads to line up with the fletching but I'm not sure what else I can tune.
In the testing that I have done, I never did line up the fletchings with the blades of the heads. I simply screwed the heads onto the arrows. If you are using the offset washer that comes in the pack, it might be that; it's the problem. (the offset washer is to tune the head to match arrows that are out of alignment, as one side of the washer is thicker than the other) We got consistent three shot groups at 50 yards that measured under 3 inches.

One of the reasons I like the Victory arrows is because they can be indexed to each arrows "sweet spot".

Other things you can tune. You can sort your arrows. I take a dozen arrows and shoot them at dots on the target. The ones that hit the dot I keep back.

The ones that don't hit the dot, I will take and turn the nock to the next vane and mark that vane with a Sharpie. If you still don't hit the dot then move to the next vane and try again.

It's important to keep in mind that you are changing the cock vane and to be certain that you index it down when you shoot it. You also need to index the nock. If you hit the dot, then you have found that particular arrows "sweet spot" so to speak. You need to mark it so that you can recognize the cock vane when you are loading your bow. I make all of my personal arrows with two white hens and a black cock vane. Then I color the one white vane with a black Sharpie. You could also color the two hens with a black sharpie if you are using different color vanes.

Always be sure to check and double check your nocks and be sure they are indexed correctly.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Retiredusne8 said:
Where do you get the nocks? Do you use brass or aluminum inserts?
the ones i have now are alum inserts cut down from 25gr to 7gr........bob

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Double Lung 20 said:
Was shooting the Muzzy 3 blade broadheads out of our TenPoint Stealth with the aluminum arrows provided in the package. They shoot about 5 inches low compared to the field points. I don't have much experience with crossbows, but with my conpound bow, I would have no problem tuning the broadeads to fly right with my field points. What do I do for the crossbow? I sighted the scope in to shoot the broadheads correctly, but I feel this is the wrong thing to do. I would never used this solution for the same problem with my compound. [/quote\

Welcome to the xbow family. Lessons will be learned in your xbow journey. Switch to a 4 blade had the same issue with my 10 point but after practice and tunning your will be ready to go. Like I said many times before xbowing is not as easy as many will tell you. Your next issue will be in the tree very hard to hunt with xbow in a tree.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts