The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read that mechanical broadheads are recommended for high speed crossbows, for better accuracy. Any recommendations? Recently bought Ten point nitro X and ten point highly recommends Nap Slingblade after testing many leading broadheads in several categories. I trust them, just curious to hear opinions from other hunters and their experiences...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I shoot Rage Crossbow X 125gr. heads out of my Scorpyd. They shoot well out to 50yds. I've never tried shooting them farther than that.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Ive read that mechanical broadheads are recommended for high speed crossbows, for better accuracy. Any recommendations? Recently bought Ten point nitro X and ten point highly recommends Nap Slingblade after testing many leading broadheads in several categories. I trust them, just curious to hear opinions from other hunters and their experiences...
If you're shooting the Nitro X package arrows (CenterPunch) that combination is shooting around 415 FPS. Once you get over 400 FPS fixed blade broadheads get very difficult to achieve the same POI as field points. Most any of the popular brand expandables will work well out of your bow. They will also produce a wider cut and better blood trails than a fixed blade head.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 125g rage crossbow X broadhead sounds interesting. I used rage broadheads on my last ten point but I thought the steal blade was little thin/flimsy. Worked well but it still bothered me.

Yes, I do use the Evo-tech arrows and 415 fps is what I've read out of the Nitro (although my scope settings suggest 425fps). Glad to hear that the rages and other leading mechanicals will also work well. I bought the sling blades (what ten point recommended) as they were so cheap and I was curious. I really like that they don't have a collar- the design of broadhead prevents any expanding in flight. Just hesitant as not many people mentioned using these nap slingblades in another related post.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I always had good results with NAP. Currently using aluminum 2219 XX75 bolts with the 100gr mechanical broad head. Good to 50 yards off a steady rest, same POI with either target tip or broadhead. No complaints. 305fps (chronographed) Barnett C5 Wildcat

·
Super Moderator
13,653 Posts
Is there an expandable head that you can practice with? Do the mechanicals really fly the same as the field points?

I am currently using fixed three blade heads out of my crossbow but would maybe switch to an expandable if I thought I could get one that was reliable and I could test it to make sure my crossbow shot it were I aimed it.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
817 Posts
Is there an expandable head that you can practice with? Do the mechanicals really fly the same as the field points?

I am currently using fixed three blade heads out of my crossbow but would maybe switch to an expandable if I thought I could get one that was reliable and I could test it to make sure my crossbow shot it were I aimed it.

Dick Bodenhorn
Swhacker. Comes with practice head. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
18,566 Posts
Look at the new SEVR Titanium as well. The are titanium construction and you can put in a little screw that locks the blades closed for practice. They flew great out of every crossbow I have shot them out of.

I am also a big Swhacker fan which come with a practice head.

I have also shot the SlingBlades out of several bows and they shot well. I never killed anything with them though, so I can't vouch for their performance on game but I would expect them to perform well. The nice thing about them is there are no clips or bands.

·
Registered
18,566 Posts
Do the mechanicals really fly the same as the field points?
Only way to know for sure is to shoot them. Variables such as timing of your cams, and spine of your arrows can affect field points compared to the broadheads. Even with mechanicals. That is why I prefer mechanicals that come with practice heads, such as Swhackers, or mechanical broadheads that can be locked closed, like the SEVR.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RSB.. I guess that is an obvious way to find out that I did not consider. I will have to just shoot them to find out for myself.

I do wish I could find details/results to their broadhead test. They said they tested all the leading brands (both mechanical and fixed) with their high speed bows, and tested many categories (accuracy, not opening in flight, etc). The slingblades were supposedly the 'best'. I believe they said Montec were a good choice if you really wanted to use fixed. I also like to just over-think things in the off season.

Thanks for thoughts

·
Registered
20,862 Posts
People put way too much thought and way too much money into broadheads.They have to be razor sharp,penetrate and stay together.That's it.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
The 125g rage crossbow X broadhead sounds interesting. I used rage broadheads on my last ten point but I thought the steal blade was little thin/flimsy. Worked well but it still bothered me.

Yes, I do use the Evo-tech arrows and 415 fps is what I've read out of the Nitro (although my scope settings suggest 425fps). Glad to hear that the rages and other leading mechanicals will also work well. I bought the sling blades (what ten point recommended) as they were so cheap and I was curious. I really like that they don't have a collar- the design of broadhead prevents any expanding in flight. Just hesitant as not many people mentioned using these nap slingblades in another related post.
TenPoint now has NAP making that broadhead for their EVO-X brand.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice.. I did read about that. I believe they are identical to the Nap slingblades design except they have a thicker steal blade. The regular Nap Slingblades are only around $25at Walmart and those new ones I believe are around $45?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts

Dick Bodenhorn

Swhackers and don't look back. Having sent 1000's of arrow/broadhead combinations down range I've yet to see a Swhacker head not have the same POI, and as others have stated they come with a practice head that works. They are not much to look at but they are a devastating broadhead. If I was still shooting a compound, I'd still be shooting a fixed blade head, but crossbows have so much KE the expandables just gash them and create massive damage & blood trails. I still occasionally switch up broadheads depending on what state/country I'm hunting, what animal I'm hunting, or what company I'm testing for, but Swhackers are always near the top of the list. A few months back I even tried them in South Carolina on free ranging wild hogs which have heavy shields you need to penetrate. No problem for the Swhackers at 30 yards.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Swhackers and don't look back. Having sent 1000's of arrow/broadhead combinations down range I've yet to see a Swhacker head not have the same POI, and as others have stated they come with a practice head that works. They are not much to look at but they are a devastating broadhead. If I was still shooting a compound, I'd still be shooting a fixed blade head, but crossbows have so much KE the expandables just gash them and create massive damage & blood trails. I still occasionally switch up broadheads depending on what state/country I'm hunting, what animal I'm hunting, or what company I'm testing for, but Swhackers are always near the top of the list. A few months back I even tried them in South Carolina on free ranging wild hogs which have heavy shields you need to penetrate. No problem for the Swhackers at 30 yards.
]
Nice, I use the 3" 150 grain Swhacker out of my Excalibur Bulldog 400fps. Even at 3", in thru the shoulder blade on a 175# dressed buck and out the other side.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts