The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used Rage broadheads with the chisel tip for the last several years and have had decent success with them. But this past year I shot a buck that ran a lot farther than I would have expected after a decent shot. It was a good shot and when I pulled the arrow out of the ground, it seem like the one side of the blade was not properly extended. The same thing happened to another buddy of mine. A week later, I shot a doe that didn't make it 20 yards. So when they work, they seem to work great. But I'm not confident that they extend like they are supposed to all of the time. I know people have switched to the rage hypodermic and are happy with them. I also have a buddy that recommended Swhackers. Just looking for thoughts and recommendations because I initially planned to go back to the fixed broadheads rather than the mechanical ones but now I'm not sure what I want to do. The reason I am thinking about this now is because I am hoping to catch some clearance sales in the next month or so.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I just can't make the leap of faith to mechanicals. I know they work the majority of the time but to me one failure is enough to make me skeptical. I moved to Muzzy Trocars this year. Hardly any tuning required and my double lung shot went 25 yards with a blood trail a blind man could follow. Blades looked unfazed and could be used again.

First year experience but very happy so far.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
Well I switched to the rage for the first time this year. Hypodermic, buck and 2 doe with them this year. I gotta say they had entry holes that were huge. They worked good for me, I'll will use them again next year.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Iv'e used thunderheads for years, never had one fail to open. Decent sized holes (usually 2) decent bloodtrails, although it's probably been around 10 years since in actually needed a bloodtrail, they almost always go down within sight.

·
Super Moderator
12,615 Posts
Thunder heads for me also since the mid 80's...have taken more than one buck with the same head. 250 lb black bear went 40 yds.+-. This years 10 point lived less than 20 sec. and made it about 20 Yds. falling in sight.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I tried Grizz Tricks for the first time this year. All three deer went down within sight with nice sized holes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I used Muzzy for years and made the switch to Wasp drones over the past offseason. They fly great and I shot 2 doe and a buck this year with recoveries of 60, 15, and 20 yards. Couldn't be more pleased with them.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I switched to Magnus Stingers. I shoot them out of my longbow and I think I will start shooting them out of my Elite, if I ever go back to wheel.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
muzzy 100 grain 4 blade 1 inch dia cut...fly good penetration is unreal...:thumbs:
I use the same thing. I have killed bear, boars, squirrel, bucks, and woodchucks with them. I can't see a reason to change.

·
Registered
436 Posts
another +1 for Muzzy fixed blades. i switched to them in 1999 and have taken every deer since with them. yes, mechanical fly truer to practice tips, but with Muzzy this is no possible failures, zero, not possible. i've hit bone more than once, and this year's buck was shot right thru the middle of the shoulder blade, so i can attest to the durability of them. to me there is not a better made boradhead on the market, and thats why when i found out they dont make the 145gr 4-blade anymore, i've acquired a lifetime supply of broadheads and blades from ebay. the performance they provide is unmatched to me. as well, and most notably for me, is the front load design. when i tune a broadhead to an arrow, the shaft stays on that arrow for the life of it. i routinely practice with my hunting arrows during the season, and because of the front load design, i can swap practice and hunting blades out every day for practice, and i never lose the tuning because the broadhead shaft stays exactly aligned on the arrow because it never has to be unscrewed to change blades. i whole-heartedly believe that practicing with hunting arrows/broadheads is of upmost importance to me and my setup, and Muzzy's front-load design allows for that continually. add that to the performance i've seen over years of kills using them, and its no contest to me.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Matching a broadhead to it's own shaft, I'm a believer in that too. Might be overkill but i know every pair in my quiver will shoot spot on. And i can shoot broadhead groups that are as tight as my fieldpoint groups out to 60 yds.

·
Registered
436 Posts
"Might be overkill but i know every pair in my quiver will shoot spot on."

+1.

KNOWING that, is hardly overkill to me, and even if it is, i'm fine with that. i know from using them my whole life, 4 blade broadheads in front of 3 vanes can cause a little drift based on the 4 blade position. simply changing broadheads that align the blades slightly different to find one tuned right is a simple solution. once i have that proper alignment, that head to that arrow is a lifetime connection. thats what makes the Muzzy's so great to me, because i can practice and hunt with that combo without ever losing that tuning.

when they're matched like that, i have no doubt you can hold the same size groups as fieldpoints.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I have had great luck using Steelforce Broadheads. Made right here in PA!! Personally I use the Phathead 100's. They won't put near as big of a hole in a deer as the mechanicals but they go right where you are aiming!
I'll second the Steelforce recommendation !!!!!!!!!!!

I use the Premium 100 4-blade. Fly like a dart (I've tested them to 310 fps) and penetrate like crazy !!!!!! They're a Pennsylvania company. And they'll re-sharpen them for you during the off-season if you ship them back to the factory.

·
Super Moderator
12,615 Posts
As said above I have had great success with Thunderheads for many years. I have only had 4 hunting arrows for the last 15+ years (There were 6 but I kill two coyotes and bent two in the process) I have shot several bucks and a 250 lb. black bear using the reusing the same broadheads and arrows year after year.

They are 2413 XX 75's aluminum, (3) 4" plastic vanes and I shoot 125 gr. Thunderheads. Not so popular any more.

Over the years I have gone from 76 lbs to now around 55 lbs. Which still completely penetrates the chest cavity of deer and the bear. Each completed arrow weights within 3 gr. of each other. I have several broad heads I use for practice and never shoot two at the same dot on my targets so I don't damage any arrows. I have 3 dz. or so replacement blades I use some to practice and have several I keep sharp for hunting. I spin/check my arrows regularly for straightness.

I shoot 3D with a lighter arrow combination for flatter trajectory and switch to shooting my XX 75 broad heads a couple of weeks before the archery season. At one time I used two different sights and had each set for the appropriate set up. However now I shoot a single pin and I am very lucky whereas, the difference in my POI is right on at 5 yds difference. So I don't not have to do any changes to the markings on my sight tape.

Two season I have had trouble with not being able to pull back my Mathews Switchback and I have used the same arrow combination in a crossbow to take two nice bucks.

Thunderheads have been preforming for me.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I used Grim Reapers and lost a Pope and Young buck after the head deflected off of the rib. Mechanicals may be great but not worth the risk for me. Montec g5 or any fixed broadhead. Keep It Simple. Fixed work.

·
Registered
695 Posts
but with Muzzy this is no possible failures, zero, not possible.
This Muzzy Trocar says otherwise. It hit bone and never made it into the chest cavity. All these parts were between the shoulder and rib cage. Muzzy makes a good product and I will continue to use them (not he Trocars). But they can fail.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I used Grim Reapers and lost a Pope and Young buck after the head deflected off of the rib. Mechanicals may be great but not worth the risk for me. Montec g5 or any fixed broadhead. Keep It Simple. Fixed work.
Kinda ironic............ the reason I've been using Steelforce for the last 6-8 years is that I had a G5 Montec slide up the ribcage of a Pope & Young buck, on a quartering away shot, and lodge behind the paddlebone. No......... I did not recover the deer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts