The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is my first season bow hunting so could be a rookie stupid question. Making a rookie mistake I assumed my arrow box was in the case drove 3 hours and don't have no arrows and nothing really with in driving distance with short notice my buddy shoots 100 grain broadheads I zeroed my bow with 125 field tips I'm assuming my shot would be lower since I'm using lighter arrow will it make much difference shooting at a deer. I want a good clean shot don't want to use if it will effect it that much. Thanks for any and all help.

·
Banned
152 Posts
if you practiced with 125, and hes going to let you use some of his hundreds, youre arrow will impact higher than normal! i wouldnt take it hunting unless i shot it at a target and made the proper adjustments

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
I don't fully understand what you said, but if you are using a different arrow and different broad head, you have two variables that change the point of impact.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have same arrows just different broadheads arrows are same length to we are same height and all

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
If your using same arrows then the 25 grain difference will not be that much. The only thing is if your bow will shot that type of broadhead. I would shoot one just to be safe.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Shoot them. You'll be just fine. If you have the ability to take a few practice shots, definitely do so. 25 grains of total weight very very rarely changes the arrows point of impact by more than an inch or so at 30 yards. For most shooters, a difference that isnt even noticeable. Can you tell us both brands and models of broadheads? Different types of broadheads, can and many times will shoot differently, especially from a poorly tuned bow.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Welcome to bowhunting, or sometimes knowns as "You're not going to believe what I forgot this time!??!". A real good routine to get into is to make sure everything has a place, and put everything in it's place...a lot like your mother used to tell you!! After a while, you'll figure out what you can and cannot forget, where you keep everything, how to find it in the dark, and what you can substitute for the actual item. Shootbowtech is right, get a couple of practice shots in, but if it's the same arrow shaft and length, 25 grain difference shouldn't be a problem. Don't feel bad, I've gotten halfway up the mountain and realized my bow was back in the truck!!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
muzzys and rage will likely shoot differently... You better shoot a couple practice shots first... better to take a couple shots then to gut shoot a deer because of your own laziness in taking 2 or 3 shots...

·
Super Moderator
14,209 Posts
I use a written check list of equipment reviewed each time I leave to hunt, 3D, set trail cams etc.

I would not go to the woods with my bow until I was confident the arrows I am shooting will in fact hit the point of aim.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Cork90 said:
He shoots muzzy 100 grains I shoot rage extremes 125.
I agree with what has been said. Rage broadheads typically have field point flight. Muzzy broadheads typically do not. If your bow is perfectly tuned, under 300 fps, and you have impeccable form in a hunting situation wearing heavy clothing, I'd say go hunting. However, all three things in combination are probably not the case, and the muzzys will fly differently from your Rage and from field points. You owe it to the game you are pursuing to take a few practice shots, and check for accuracy.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Cork90 said:
Well this is my first season bow hunting so could be a rookie stupid question. Making a rookie mistake I assumed my arrow box was in the case drove 3 hours and don't have no arrows and nothing really with in driving distance with short notice my buddy shoots 100 grain broadheads I zeroed my bow with 125 field tips I'm assuming my shot would be lower since I'm using lighter arrow will it make much difference shooting at a deer. I want a good clean shot don't want to use if it will effect it that much. Thanks for any and all help.
don't hunt unless you shoot first. Can't believe anyone that has any respect for wildlife would shoot at any animal without checking 100% to know where there weapon is hitting.
You can buy a cheap portable broadhead taget and find a place to shoot before you hunt..even if it at camp before you head out.
I personnally don't even shoot field points anymore. I have my bow sighted in for my broadheads and that it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wouldn't shoot hence why I asked the question. It says in my post also I want a good clean shot. All and all I drove three hours to spectate but my own fault.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts