The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have had problems broadcasting clover seed in the past because the seed is so tiny. I end up going to buy more even though i originally buy the correct amount according to my plot size. ANY SUGGESTIONS, besides running while broadcasting

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
use a salt shaker.

just kidding.

take a coffee can cut tiny holes in the lid just big anough to let small amounts of seed out. fill the can part way with clover seed. and tape the lid on good so it doesnt pop off while shaking it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You might try mixing it with pelletized lime or sand, for example. The first time I tried broadcasting brassicas I used about 1/2 acre's seed in about 1/10 acre and I was using a small lawn spreader.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
For clover and brassicas, have you tried a Scotts hand held grass seeder? That is what I use, and yes, sometimes you do have to run, or walk REAL fast.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I would recommend seeding the plot as lightly as possible the first time over it and then go over it again with the remaining seed. Clover and brassicus seed is so small it is almost impossible to apply the correct amount on the first application. It is better to be conservative on the first pass with good seed distribution and apply the rest on the second pass than apply to much seed, especially with a brassicus mix on a well prepared seedbed. To much seed can result in stunted growth and less overall forage. I use a bag hand seeder.

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
I do a combo foDutch's and bts responses....

use the Scott seeder at the 1 setting. I aim mine up a little to get and even wider spread, with a birsk walk. I go full lengths of the plot. Then with the remaining seed i then go full widths for the plot. The if there is still some left (usually not much) I go up the middle in a zig zag.

Got to get the right seeder...$8 or so.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I don't know that I have EVER gotten the right amount on of either of them, but then, I haven't had many failures either.

Yeah, buddy of mine came for my food plot equipment the other day to do a food plot in Ohio. ATV, sprayer, and an $10 Scotts seeder. He looked at me like I was nuts..... I ain't, and that spreader has done lots of plots over the years.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
pottercountyman said:
The clover seed I bought came with orange die on it and made it easy to see.
I spread a seed blend that had blue dye on the seed the other year. Boy, that sure is nice!

·
Registered
125 Posts
ONLY OPEN THE HOPPER TO YOUR SPREADER JUST TILL YOU SEE THE SEEDS START TO DROP, IF YOU HAVE TO WALK THE PLOT 2X OR EVEN THREE ITS MAKES IT VERY PERCISE...

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I use a an over the shoulder bag seeder that has about a 25 pound capacity. I've found I can control the seeding rate quite well. Like BTS said, open the seeder at half the recommended setting and walk a criss cross pattern. It will ensure there aren't any gaps and that you won't run out of seed before half the plot is covered.
Will it all be covered uniformly - heck no!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Maybe I did this wrong, but I used my Herd seeder and quad to seed my brassicas. I thoroughly mixed 2lbs. of seed and 20lbs of pelletized lime in a feed bag, and then dumped in in the seeder. I set the seeder at a very low setting and went over the 1/3 acre plots north to south and east to west and around the perimeter and then zigzaged befor the mix ran out. It seemed to work well and the quad seemed to firm the seed bed at the same time.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have always spread my line first and worked it into the soil by discing lightly. Then spread the clover seed and drag it. That way the clover seed doesn't get buried too depply but the lime is mixed in with the soil.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I think CJ was using the lime to help in the spreading of such a small amount of fine seed.

·
Registered
672 Posts
On only a third of an acre that method may have worked for you, but you need to be careful due to the different size and weight of the seeds vs lime. They can seperate easily and leave you with uneven seed distribution. But since you got over it so many times and it is such a small plot, you should be fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Homeinthewoods.. has it right the key is to spread lightly. Put your seed setting on the finest setting and walk briskly in a criss crossing pattern. The more you do of it the better you will get. It can be time consuming on large plots but it is very effective. Buy a spreader that is adjustable. If you have extra when you are done the criss crossing pattern reseed down the middle of the plot stay away from the woods edges keep it in the middle where the sun will be the most

1 - 17 of 17 Posts