The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys looking for some thoughts again…

This is the Orchard Plot, if you may remember last year I planted PF’s Bird and Buck mix in it. It got usage from germination in June til March with the variety that was in there.

This spring with the abscence of the annuals I noticed the clover coming back all most thru the entire plot, so I just stuck with it so far this year, mowing it and fertilizing with 6-24-24 for the clover about a month ago. It has worked out well so far in keeping the clover nice and thick and it is getting use especially by does and faws.

I plan to mow this clover one more time this weekend for weed control and get fresher thicker growth going there as we head into Fall. However, after getting all my other Fall plots in I still have a few pounds of the Turnip mix that I got from Hilltop Seeds (“pheasants” company) and am thinking after this mow maybe I drag the chain harrow over it once , but not in deep dig setting and then broadcast the turnips to increase my Fall and over the winter tonnage once the clover subsides.

Thoughts…

The plot as it looks as of last Saturday :

As always you comments are appreciated

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Turnips seem to sprout and grow anywhere. I have never tried to overseed clover with turnip but, sounds like a good plan. Unless you have another spot for the extra seed I say give it a go. The results would be interesting and could help a lot of other HPA members that have clover plots.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well since it is an annual i can;t see it negatively effecting the clover as long as I dont rip up things too much with the harrow.

I think if it gets enough light to germinate ( which it should as this is pretty much my only all day sunlight plot), I can get it to establish.

The other plots are at their seeded capacity.

I plan to hand pull some persisitent weeds that bother me on Saturday, then mow and broadcast Sunday.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Just use a trigger sprayer and hit those weeds with Roundup.

I over seeded a clover plot once with rape, not much of it came up tho. But then, I did not harrow it in. Have you thought of setting your disc blades straight, then run over once or twice, then seed? The seeds will find their way into those slices and sprout, without a whole lot of damage to the clover. Clover spreads and fills in, so, I think it would work.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you are saying to just take light passes with the King Kutter...don't really get to churning it up or add that down weight...I can do that, in fact I am liking that is better now, as it won't tug at the clover roots like the drag would.

So the plan now is mow, disc lightly, seed with rape...would rolling it at the end help since the ground is
still soft from all the rain?? Probably would close up the divets I just made with the disc to catch seed but may help get the new seed into good soil contact.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Not so sure I'd roll it. Also understand that this process will also allow more clover seed to get soil contact as well. Your clover has or will drop some free seed either before mowing or during the mowing. Either way, you can't lose.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I'll relax with a cold beer and enjoy the woods for a bit, instead or rolling it.

Either way, you can't lose
I like those odds.

Hope this works to extend the feeding life of this plot...this is the one they dug at all winter.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got this project done in the rain on Sunday morning...took a few pics so we can follow the progress of this endeavor, I'll post tonight.

I used the chain harrow cause it was a bit too soupy for the disc, it dug nice little trenches in the surface to catch seed. My guess is this is going to work well. Should be a nice mix of clover and turnips...

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Great post----this is exactly what I was looking for in my post....THANKS!!!!!! Wish I had a 4 wheeler to use instead of the Old Craftsman Garden Tractor. I have a new 530 Deere but Im not gonna put it to the test yet! LOL Think I might get some chain link fence to drag prior to planting the clover seed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
RB: my advice is the same as Dutch. If you can get that brassica seed a little light and soil contact, it will grow. Moderate disturbance of the clover won't be a problem. Some folks will disk or even rototill a couple strips of brassicas into clover plots. Often, the clover comes back fairly well in the strips the following year.

The weather we are having this summer would have been great to plant brassicas early and get some tonnage built up before fall...but I didn't get it done here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts