The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've got a 10-month-old Brittany (Tucker) who is amazing me every time out. Last Saturday was his first time afield with another dog (6 yr old Lab) and they were spectacular together. Found more birds than we put out, which is always sweet.
Here is my issue: Tucker would not TOUCH water in the 4 hours we were out. I had his bottle of water, and there were plenty of streams and puddles for him to drink from, but he refused over and over. It was pretty warm on Saturday. The Lab drank a BUNCH of water. But I'm concerned Tucker is going to suffer some bad consequences from this. I know, I know, if he's thirsty, he will drink. But I think there's something more to this. He's done it before afield, and there's no changing his mind. By the end of the hunt, he was losing energy fast. I KNOW water would have helped him out. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
im no bird dog guy but sometimes dogs get so focused they forget everything else. maybe get some extra water in the dog before heading out and take a long break during the hunt wit him tied near water. if your just hunting put out birds its not like there going far. take a break and when he settles down he might drink.

·
Registered
303 Posts
my brit won't drink from a bottle,she has to a dish but she is in every pond puddle and creek we find.sometimes theres more mud than dog.try boiling 1 of those birds to make a broth instead of plain water for tucker.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Makes sense that Tucker is so distracted by the task at hand that he refuses water. He drinks out of the bottle-type thing I have all the time on walks and whenever. Also drinks from every pond and puddle and stream he comes across (when we're not hunting !).
I think I'm more wondering how I get him to drink when he's like this. This is the third time in a row he's refused water all together on a hunt. Saturday, I held his nose in it and he acted like I was trying to get him to drink gasoline or something.
He's a puppy and I feel I have to look out for his best interests here. He started the day plenty hydrated, but he needed to drink while we were out there and wouldn't. It's on me to figure out how to fix that....

·
Registered
649 Posts
Take your water bottle and stick it in his mouth from the side with your hand over his snout and pour. He will drink. Doesn't look pretty and you may think you are drowning him but he will drink. I had the same problem with my dogs till I saw an old time dog man do it this way. Lots of dogs won't drink while running and hunting. Your the boss and sometimes you have to think for them. A dog like yours will kill himself running in the heat if you let him.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, we'll give that a go. It's going to work whether he likes it or not come to think of it.....
When we got home, he drank about two gallons and had me taking him outside every 10 minutes the rest of the day ! Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts