The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a summer of smoking nothing but pork because everything I read said beef is very unforgiving, I did a 7 pound brisket Saturday on my Meadow Creek pig roaster (8 hour roast at about 225)......WOW, the meat was unbelievably tender, just wasn't a huge fan of the rub I used. It was a dry rub, brown sugar and paprika base....anyone have any recipes they love?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Texas rubs are nothing more than salt and pepper.

My rub(the recipe can be pried from my cold dead hand along with my guns) is about the whole spice cabinet. I have gotten complaints from some that the bark is just not quite edible. I guess the question is what was wrong with the rub.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nothing really wrong with it, it just wasn't the memorable taste I was looking for....

·
Registered
495 Posts
Just got an electric smoker last weekend. Did a little research and decided to do a 4 lb. Brisket. Our dry rub which we use for ribs consists of brown sugar,smoked paprika, mustard powder, garlic powder,onion powder and cayenne. I rubbed the brisket on Sunday night and put it in the frig. Next morning brought it up to room temperature. Put it on at about 11:30 the next day. I'm an amateur but it was fantastic. On the smoker with hickory for about 4 1\2 hours between 200 and 225 degrees. Took it off and wrapped it in foil for about an hour. It was fantastic. The piece of meat had tons of fat but otherwise very, very good.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to pick up a brisket to smoke/roast tomorrow and they were out! (Always too many irons in the fire to plan ahead!) Soooooo, instead, I grabbed 11 pound sirloin cut....meat looks amazing but we'll see how it turns out tomorrow! It's a thick cut of meat and I'm still new to this stuff!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts