The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the rule of thumb if you put money down on a puppy and the dog needs surgery should the breeder offer me another puppy she told me I was getting and then switched on me at the last minute. I decided not to buy the puppy that needed hernia surgery.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
at the minimum price should be reduced, and if you decide not to take the puppy for a health reason deposit should be returned. That said, umbilical hernias are not a real big deal in most cases.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Thwho is correct about the money and the deposit being returned if your not taking the pup. This should definitely be an option in this case due to the health issue and you not getting the pick you wanted. Umbilical hernias in pups are relatively common with some being hereditary but many being caused by mom when chewing off the cord. Regardless, the breeder should pay to repair it or refund some of the purchase price to cover it.

Over the years, I have sold one pup with a small hernia that I thought might actual heel shut on its own. Regardless, I made the owner aware of the issue prior to picking the pup and gave the owner the name of my vet and cut the price on the pup by the amount it would cost to have it repaired. The pup heeled on its own by pressing the bubble in while holding the pup and playing with the pup. This is possible only in cases where the issue if very, very, small.

Regardless, the breeder has some responsibility to you if they are a quality breeder. Otherwise, they are simply someone breeding pups for the money.

·
Registered
999 Posts
We have had only one with a umbilical hernia out of our litters. That one puppy we would not sell but we did find him a good home . We explained to the family what he had and that it would need to be repaired when they had him neutered. We gave them the AKC paper work and the prepaid micro chip too. It was the least we could do for both the family that took him and the puppy.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If that happened in my kennel you would of been given a choice. Your money back or another pup. If you insisted that you still wanted that pup I would of paid for the surgery.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Penndraght said:
If that happened in my kennel you would of been given a choice. Your money back or another pup. If you insisted that you still wanted that pup I would of paid for the surgery.
X2

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
REDLAB said:
Penndraght said:

X2
X3....definitely how it's handled in most cases by reputable breeders.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It all boils down to what the breeder does or does not have defined in black and white writing on a contract such as a "Puppy Purchase Agreement", or, "Definition of Terms of Canine Sale".

A quality breeder does not leave disputable terms undefined. Like Redlab, they wouldnt even think twice about umbilical hernia, it would simply be repaired by a vet without doubt. If you are relying on "etiquette" or "rule of thumb" you probably are not going to be happy when it comes to making argueable decisions regarding the purchase.

Puppy buyers: Do your homework. Get references. Visit the breeder. Ask questions. Review contracts. Ask more questions. Talk to previous puppy purchasers. Be sure that you are delighted with all of the contract terms before signing and making your deposit. Get a signed copy of the contract before making the deposit. - You are purchasing a living animal that will live with you for 10-15 years.

Call me on my number listed in my signature below if you are looking for a field bred labrador, flat coat, chessy or curly coated retriever. I will gladly talk with you about what you'd like in your next retriever puppy and provide you with QUALITY breeder & litter references.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Gentlemen,
Always purchase from a reputable breeder and all this kind of stuff is taken care of, do your home work when you purchase a gun dog and find a quality breeder of which ever
breed or breed line you choose. This is one of the reasons we have a breeders list that our business works form.
Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts