The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just curious as to who all breaks in the barrel before actually zeroing it in and How important it really is. Breaking in I am refering to is 50 rounds and a brush and patch down the pipe between each round.

I believe it is important as all machinery should have a break in period but I know others may think it is line of BS. What are your thoughts. I never knew about a break in period when I bought my Rem700. Wish I had.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I had a Springfield 30-06 rebarreled to 25-06, the first 50 rounds at 100 yds was about a 6" pattern. After 200 rounds the 100 yd group was super small. This was done with copper cleaning after three to five rounds, NO brush. I got sick of cleaning the barrel. Now I did not come up with this on my own, this was from the instructions of the gunsmith. I do not know if this is right for new factory rifles.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Frankly I don't know what to think about barrel break-in. On one hand you hear about "burnishing the bore" and then there is the ogre of "excessive copper build up" and to my mind where the "burnishing" ends and the "build-up" begins is something that only people who belive in Unicorns and the lost land of Atlantis know anything about. I have broken in barrels with the shoot and clean method and then again I have not used the break in method at all. The only rifle I could never get to shoot was a Winchester .223 Ultralight with a 1x18 ROT. I did everything to that gun but take it to a priest and it still would not shoot.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
If Atlantis would not have sunk we would still have unicorns!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
With a new factory barrel, the need usually is to remove rough areas and chatter marks remaining from the bore and chambering processes. A smooth bore will retain less copper and powder fouling. The best way to do this is by scrubbing with a mild abrasive like JB or Iosso paste. Cleaning with the one shot, two shot, three shot and clean method may or may not be effective. Depends on the bore roughness. Some barrels never completely "break in" and despite frequent cleaning, will show blue from copper and black from carbon on patches forever.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Anyone ever try Gunslicks foaming bore cleaner? I just picked up some to try. I use bore snakes, they seem to work good. When I get done shooting, I just spray down the barrel with cleaner, run bore snake a few times and thats it. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Thanks to this thread I just picked up a Tiptons Carbon Fiber cleaning rod and brass jag for my .30-06 and I also ordered a bore guide from Mike Lucas.

I didn't do anything special to break in my Tikka when I got it new back in 2007 so I hope whatever I've done hasn't caused any major harm. For my use, I'm sure it hasn't, I'm not looking for a .25" group at 200 yards, not that I'd be upset if the gun could do it, it's just not a requirement for my needs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts